1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the first micro head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David A. Davis, May 23, 2011.

1. I was curious, what company manufactured the first micro bass head?

2. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I am guessing Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio or an upright focused company - seems like they were early to the class D party....

3. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Walter Woods was doing really lightweight stuff a long time ago, but I don't know if it would be considered micro by today's standards.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Walter Woods...even if they're not considered "micro" by today's standards, they were surely the predecessor of todays micros.

If we're talking micro combos, I believe Polytone takes that crown.

5. I should have said Class D.

6. First one I remember was a kit by the Sinclair company. I never built one myself but I did read reports that the completed kit was pretty good.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I nominate the GK MB150 series heads. Not quite micro but definitely small and lightweight.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Not a bass amp, but IIRC, the first Class D amp that I had heard was the one used in the Infinity Servo Static 1.

9. first SMPS/Class amps I was aware of were the Stewart halfrack power amps that put out 50w side or 100w bridged. They later came out with the one rack space 300w or something and the world series. As far as actual bass heads?

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The first one I remember was made by a Swedish company during the late 1970's, it was 300 watts RMS. The company was called Balder Amps.

TD

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hmmm

12. How about we narrow thiings down a bit:
    For bass guitar applications
    mass produced
    less than 10 lbs.

GO!

13. Yamaha had a micro, lightweight head several years before the current crop. Not sure of the specs or technology.

14. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida

Walter Woods mid 1970's. No one else is even close.

Attached Files:

15. Here we have the Univox UB250 bass amplifier. These were first sold in 1969, They are 18 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. What did I win?

Attached Files:

16. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    So... the first mass-produced class-D amp under 10lbs for bass guitar?

I don't know... hope to find out. But since they often don't get the credit they deserve, I'll mention that Peavey was probably the first MI company doing class D. While it doesn't meet the above criteria, the DECA 528 amp was 500w/12lbs in 1988.

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Would that be the BBT-500H ?? .. it is a 11 pound, modeling ... one of the earlier class D's I think ... there are a few around here

18. Yeah, I think that's it. My local music store had one, and the owner (who's a bass player also) was telling me how good it was. I was in good health, and ok with my 800RB at the time, so didn't feel compelled to investigate further. I see that several have come before it, but it was the first one I was exposed to.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm, let's not start changing the rules after the gate has been opened. :rollno: :D

How about adding: built after 2005, for example? :bag:

20. Sorry if this is derailing the thread, but what was Walter Woods doing differently in the 70s that made his amps so much smaller & lighter than other contemporary gear?