1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The first pick up ever

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bijoux, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    when did pick ups come out? and when did they get popular amongst jazz musicians?
    I noticed that most of my jazz albums are from about early 50's to mid 60's, and I like the way they were recorded. I have albums from the 70's and 80's but it seems like a lot of the guys at that time decided to record using the pick up signal only. I wonder if pick ups became very popular and guys just weren't mic-ing their basses anymore...
    I like Ron Carter's old sound, like on Miles second quintet. then in the late 60's Dave Holland started playing with Miles davis, and I wonder if he was already relying on pick up for his sound.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ampeg is credited with the original mic on the end pin design. Not to long after that De Armond had a diaphragm mounted tailpiece device that was the next thing I remember. As far as the pickup into the board thing, they did it in the 70's but I don't think that anyone loved that sound. I don't think that Ron Carter or Dave Holland's pickup was used for their recorded sound on albums, but others may have better information. John Clayton was recorded directly from the amp on the Monte Alexander Live Album and he vowed to never do that again because he really disliked the sound. That's why John uses a mic with no amplifier now.

Ric

3. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    As far as I know, the Amp Peg is the first attempt at a double bass miking system. I believe DeArmond had one that went in the arch of the bridge. My own pickup history is roughly as follows: Polytone, Barcus-Berry stickon and integral (classic direct 70s CTI tone), Fishman clipon, Underwood, Accusound, Barbera, Pierre Josephs Stringcharger, Gage Fealist, Full Circle.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Magnetic pickups have certainly been around a long time. However, at the time the Amp Peg came out, gut strings were the standard, and they don't work with a mag pickup. If I remember correctly, Leo Fender put gut strings with copper or steel winding on the part of the string over the pickup on his first bass guitar.

6. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Lloyd Loar, who worked for Gibson at the time, electrified a double bass in 1924.

Don't know when they became popular though.