Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The first really neat song you learned

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Here's a question -- what's the first really "neat" song you learned? You know, not something complex, just something that sounds really, really cool. The first really, really cool sounding thing I learned was Southbound Pachyderm a few months ago, which when you can coordinate your fingers and thumb so that you don't stop "pedalling" the open A with your thumb when you play the other notes with your finger sounds incredibly cool. Very...ominous sounding. I was just cruising the tab section of TalkBass about half an hour ago, going through the artists letter by letter and didn't really find anything that interested me until I got to I and remembered this band called "Incognito" that'd I'd downloaded a bunch of on some reccomendations from fellow TB'ers. So I started trying to find songs I had mp3s of that TB had tabs for, and found one "Jacob's Ladder", so I clicked on the tab and turned on the song. Holy jumpins! A couple of listens later and viewings of the tab, and I noticed that the beautiful intro really wasn't that difficult to play! So for the past while I've been learning the intro to that, and I'm gonna pull it out at the next Coffee House (next Thursday). Once I get it nailed down, I'm gonna make a recording, and when I get my new electronics in, re-record it ;). Oh, I've been playing for about a year and half now, 16 years old.

So, what was your first neat tune, how old were yah, and how long had you been playing?

2. "Lady Madonna", in 1975, a few months after I had started playing. I was 16 then.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The actual very very first was
    Pomp and Circumstance for my 1st grade
    violin recital. hehe

I've been playing music way too long.

The first rock song I learned was Bus Stop by the Hollies, then Satisfaction by the Stones,
    {that got boring fast ...! }

Thor

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    "Kiss" by Prince.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Walk Don't Run" by the Ventures...on guitar and bass.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"20th Century Man" by the Kinks.

More recently: "The Rain Song" by Zep. In that C-G-C-G-C-D tuning.

On Bass: "Pump it Up" by Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    either Know your enemy or Bombtrack.
    Both Rage Against The Machine songs.

8. only in dreams and..buddy holly. both by weezer

- w00t

9. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    i'm pretty sure the first song was 'whores' by janes addiction...

the first neat song i learned was 'message in a bottle' by the police.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "pinch and roll" -the aquabats

11. a bass clasic...
    Another one bites the dust... Groove!;)

12. first song I ever learned on the bass was 'Show Me The Way' from Frampton Comes Alive (I'm showing my age, huh :D )

13. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    hmmm... the coolest song i ever learned was also the first song i learned: The A&W Root Beer Theme! METAL \m/

14. Only in dreams by weezer. First song was Hey man nice shot.

15. The first song I learned was probobly something simple... A Blink-182 song I believe.

The first nifty song I learned was tommy the cat.

:D Tasty

16. appler

appler Guest

I'm 15, been playing for almost a year.
    The first song I learned was Message in a Bottle by the Police.
    The first "neat" song I learned was Master of Puppets by Metallica, slapping the guitar intro on my four-string. It takes a little practice to get up to tempo, but it's not all that complicated. It's a lot of fun and really turns the tables on those damned guitar players! ;)

17. Well, the first really neat song I learned was also complex, it was "Peace Sells" by Megadeth. It took me a little over two weeks to get that bass intro down.

18. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The one I just played at the talent show less than an hour ago, The Awakening by Les Claypool. Also high up there is Birdland by Weather Report, Rearranged by Limp Bizkit, and Californication and By The Way by RHCP.

19. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Other than songs my friend showed me that were his songs, probably I Could Have Lied from RHCP back when I was 15... you don't get much simpler then that!

But neat song? I'd have to say thwe ones my friend showed me right when I first started learning bass... they are so neat, I still play them!! (obviously I have changed them and made them more difficult, but they rock)...

Or maybe Orion by Metallica, ya, that would be the first real song (by a known band) that I would consider "neat" that I learned....

Weird to think that was 10 or 11 years ago... hmmm..

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Killing in the name - Rage Against The Machine.

I can proudly say that i know every single rage song by heart, hhehe.