Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The first thing you heard or saw that made you want to play bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkster, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all I just wanted to know what's the first thing you remember hearing or seeing that made you shake your booty and want to play bass.
    For me I think it was 1975 I was 12 and my mom kept playing a Eric Burdon and the Animals album and a Creedence Clearwater album over & over, and the song's that stuck and made me want to play bass was We Gotta Get Outa This Place and Down on The Corner. Chas Chandler & Stu Cook are really underated bassplayer's. I begged My mom for a year for a bass and she ended up getting me a six string guitar. That lasted about a year until I got my first bass. True Calling!

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    There is probably something earlier in my life whcih drew me to the bass...but all I can say is....

JACK BRUCE.

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the moment i picked up a set of drumsticks after 16 years of playing and I wasn't able to play drums without being in excruciating pain after 10 minutes of playing...that was the moment that I decided to give bass a try.

but steve harris was always a musical inspiration.

4. Rush's "Moving Pictures," specifically "Red Barchetta."

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    At the time I think I really liked Chicago's "Color My World" especially the flute and bass parts. When the public school music program asked the students to pick their first and second choice instruments. I put down flute and bass in that order. It turned out the director of the music program was a bass player and believed I would be happier on the bass because I did not have a natural flutist mouth.

I'm glad he steered me to the bass all those years ago, but I still think of the flute as the prettiest instrument. For some reason I never let on to my punk rock friend that this is why I play bass, but it is the truth.

John

6. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    after i heard double nickels on the dime by the minutemen, i knew i wanted to play

7. BigBottom

BigBottom

Aug 29, 2000
    In 7th grade, the music teacher recruited me to play upright because I was the only one tall enough...the switch to electric took place gradually.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´ve always loved Flea´s basslines, but when I was 13, I tried a bass for the first time, and then I KNEW that this big guitar was the thing I wanted to play

9. I was in a classic rock band and to irk our lazy bassist I would play Zep's "Black Dog".
    Then years later I was at a friends house and we were listening to U2's October album,yes,on vinyl,and I had a blast picking out the whole album;it just felt natural,as if I was meant to play bass instead of the guitfiddle.I've been hooked ever since.

10. I saw an established gigging band that needed a bass player. So, I got one and was gigging with them about a month later. Before they asked me to play, I had never picked up a bass, now I'm hooked on the darn thing.

11. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I rented an Eric Clapton video to watch him play guitar, but Jack Bruce just was overpowering. I think I watched slackjawed throughout Crossroads.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my first concert was moving pictures. and that was that. :D

13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Hi, I'm Eli (HI, ELI!) and I'm an ex-g****r player.

Believe it or not, my first bass experience was a TUBA. When I was a senior in high school, my best friend played baritone horn (a half-size tuba). He showed me the basics, and one of the music teachers let me fool around with a real tuba.

God, the DEPTH of that thing. Bone-rattling. I got so into it that when the abovementioned music teacher found himself with no tuba in his frosh-soph band, he asked me if I'd come to four rehearsals and play the spring concert. Did it, and went and got an electric bass.

I've since been so drawn to foundation. I just GET it. And once that happens... you just gotta get MORE.

14. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    The Brothers Johnson opened for the Commodores. I had just started playing the bass.
    I was in the fifth grade and my brother took me to this concert. Louis Johnson took
    the most outrageous bass solo! It had to have been 10 to 12 minutes long! It was
    pounding! That's when I knew, I made the right decision to play the BASS!!!!!

15. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    The first thing that made me want to play bass was Matt Freeman. Hearing the basslines from "The Crowd" by Operation Ivy, for the first time totally blew my mind. After I had been playing for a month or so, I began to feel that "The Thing with Four Strings" really fit my personality, and it has been my passion ever since.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

I can remember at 7th grade(sheesh, only 6 years ago) in the music class teacher made us all try different instruments.
    You know, atleast drums and bass. Soon I found myself playing bass at every class. After junior high I decided to
    go for music and bought my first electric guitar, since I thought guitar would have more use than bass.. Year after that I realized my error and here I am. Playing punkrock in my first band :cool:

17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Seeing The Who live at a fairly small gig in about 1969.
    Townshend was good,but for me,John Entwistle was totally mindblowing.
    Went out the following day and blew all my cash on a "Vox Bassmaster" guitar (It wasn't as bad as it sounds) and Marshall amp!

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    WOW! ckonthe1 (Wayne & Garth impression) Wer'e not worthy!
    Man You got to see ThunderThumbs that must have been unreal he's the first guy I ever seen playing a MusicMan Besides John Deacon(Queen) I would have loved to see the brothers but I only got to see them on Don Kirshners Rock concert. Does anybody remember that show?

19. I fell into playing bass as well. When I was around 6 years old I asked my mom to buy me a Beatles album. From looking at the album cover I thought that Paul was the coolest guy in the band because he was a lefty and his guitar was different from the others. I didn't even know what a bass was at that age. I would run around playing a tennis racket lefty trying to imitate Paul. A few years later in the school band, I must have been 11 years old, I was asked to switch from trumpet to baritone horn. I played the baritone horn and valve trombone for a few years until high school. My sophmore year I became friends with a guitar player and a drummer so naturally I went out and bought a bass and an amp. I think it's funny now how it turned out.

20. To Pez,you have more guts than I do.I would be too chicken to do what you did.
    To ckonthe1:You lucky dawg.I wish the first bassist I could've seen was Louis Johnson.Then again it might have totally discouraged me and I might be a lawyer today.Naaaahhhh,I'd still be a musician.