The First Time You Fell In Love With a Bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Feb 20, 2006.

1. ...The absolute first time I ever fell in love with a bass was far before I ever even touched one. I was getting ready for school one morning some time ago, and saw the P.O.D video for "Southtown." Kids were getting tatoos, teens were moshing, Marcos was ripping, Sunny was belching out lyrics... The drummer was well... and Traa Daniels was tearing it up on a four string Thumb. I thought to myself, then and there that was the coolest looking guitar, ever! From there on out, I have and always will forever be obsessed with 'Wicks... To me, they play ten times better than they look, and that says alot in my book!

2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana

I was browsing around here and saw a Nino Valenti-built warmoth dinky p jazz that didn't have his signature headstock (actually, it has the smaller warmoth head design).

No offense intended, Nino, but we all have our preferences. :smug:

It was love at first sight. I snagged it off the 'bay two months later.
  3. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Today when i finally found my future bass, a stealth bongo 5er. :rolleyes:
    Its a matter if weeks before its mine:D
  4. I first saw a Traben Phoenix online about a year and a half ago. I played one a few weeks later (the closest dealer is 2 1/2 hours away, about 20 miles from my ex-wife) and it played as great as it looked.

I bought one about 3 weeks ago and have not regretted it. I bought a 4 string, since that will be my main guitar and will now trade my Peavey Fury in on a 5 string. Probably another Traben.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Les Claypool's Rainbow bass from Carl Thompson. 'Nuff said.
  7. DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    the one i really fell in love with was a SPECTOR NS2 when i saw RACHEL BOLAN(SKID ROW) playing one about 50 feet away from me while opening for BON JOVI back in 89 i think...
  8. My De Armond Pilot. I had gone to GC with the intent of buying a GSR200. The only one they had came with a scratchy pot. Fortunatley, the guy I was working with (a friend from my scout troop) said "hey, this De Armond is the same price." SO glad I didn't make the mistake of demanding the Ibanez. No matter how destitute I become, I will never sell my Pilot.

Rock on
  9. the first bass i fell in love with was a rick, after hearing the machine head record by deep purple, and then seeing what it looked like, i was amazed at how (for lack of a better thought-of word) ballsy it was...maybe 50% of that sound tone, and 50% roger glovers notes, but i never got around to buying one, as i rally only have enough money for one bass, but once i get out of college and hopefully find a good job i will have a little more spending money to get a rick...The second bass i fell in love with was the one that hambone made me, it was the first well-made jaguar shaped bass, and i still play it everyday!
  10. I'd have to say the first bass I fell in love with was Duff Mckagen's Fender Jazz Special (White body/Black neck & headstock). I still want one.

The second would be a Spector NS-2.
  11. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    The first I can remember was Geddy Lee's black Wal back in the late 80's/early 90's. I never played one, but I was a huge Rush fan at the time.

Later, it was a StingRay5. I dreamed and talked about that bass nonstop for a straight year before I got one. I still have it and it's still a nice bass.
  12. rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    1977 I started playing after @ 6 months off;needed a bass saw one in an ad. '73-74 guild js bass. played it,fell in love! Still have it ,use it a lot (rotate between three others). Its not the easiest to play (fender guys HATE it),but has a great tone and after 22 years it just talks to me!