Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The first time you realized the world is "backwards"???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    You know what I mean. If often seems like nothing makes much sense in the world. Good things happening to bad people, untalented bands getting noticed, pointless censorship on TV and the internet, ect. ect. Certain things should be easier, but then again that would make too much sense now wouldn't it?

I guess what i'm getting at is the whole idea of common sense and why so little of it exists. In one of my studio art/photography the teacher always rants about the stupid things people do and how often they don't use common sense. It's quite amusing when he rants because he makes sense.

Anyways when was the first time you notices that things are backwards?

Mine probably had to be in grade school, when we used to have to fill out those stupid maps for geography class. Everyone dredded the Africa map because there was always a ton of different countries, most smaller then states. And but OF COURSE, the smallest country you could imagine has the longest name you could imagin, and the largest countries had the Smallest name (like Sudan or Egypt). The end result was always a map that was completly unreadable. Funny how things work out.

2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Also when girls you know date A-hole, after A-hole. It would make too much sense for them to date a nice guy. Why is it that all the A-holes always seem to get the most girls?? Backwards!

3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    When I found the tag.

4. On The Simpsons, when I learned that in Australia the water in toilet goes the opposite way when flushed. :bawl:

5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    so true, so true :bawl: :bawl:

6. It's because the a-holes are the "popular" guys and it'd look bad if they went out with the "lesser", but nicer guys. Don't you know anything about social status? Sheesh.

7. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I realized the world was backwards when there is no up or down or front and back in a three-dimesional plane. So it's actually FORWARDS and BACKWARDS and NEITHER. AT THE SAME TIME.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Near the end of superman.

9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Maybe the world is forwards and you are backwards?

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It hit home for me when OJ got away with murdering two people.

It started years earlier when my grandma was denied my grandpas life insurance policy since she was a week late on the premium payment. For over 50 years, they paid on my grandpas life insurance, and ONE time during the week my grandpa lay dying in his bed, my grandma made the payment late. Benefits denied for failure to pay premium.

-Mike

11. Freakin' vultures. Insurance companies are some of the most heartless organizations out there.

12. Not the first time for me but worth an honourable mention. When on the front page of the local paper the main story was Beyonce's dress at the Oscars or Grammies or something. Meanwhile, in a small column off to the side, "Four people killed by suicide bomber in Israel". That and watch any episode of Entertainment Tonight, that's proof enough that the world is messed.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think I was 10-12.

I always hated everyone, but it was mostly a feeling and vibe I got till then.

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Or how about when my friend was busy at work and got fined for selling to an undercover underage kid for about 500$. This dosn't make much sense to me because they can go right down the street to the hords of different fast food restaurants and stuff their faces with junk which is just as hazardus to our health. I think heard attack now the leading cause of death in this country now.

15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, it all started when I was born...

The first thing that happened was, the doctor slapped me "hard". That made me cry, so right off the bat things were a little topsy-turvy. That's a heck of a thing to do to a little baby that weighs a fraction of a tenth of what you do.

Then when I got hungry, I was upside down on my mommie's t... Oops, can't say that. :D

Anyway, it just got more interesting from there. :meh:

But then, when I was fifteen or so, I picked up my first bass, and the world seemed to tilt on its axis, and turn right side up again. :bassist:

16. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i realized the world was backwards when i was face down in the middle of a VERY busy street with a shotgun to the back of my head. Turns out someone got shot and I happend to be near by. This is our police at work. After the couple hours of guns, cuffs and police fun, they released me saying "you know we are just doing our jobs" which apparently they dont do a very good job at since I dont shoot people.

That was bad, having you plate listed as "suspected felon" is worse since i got pulled over, and approached at gunpoint several times in the months after that.

Sadly there is no moral to this story, mabye get a good attorney?

17. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    Then think about being left handed! Even the felt bass picks are right handed!

18. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Dunno about the first time, but the most recent was an hour ago.

Walking through Glasgow Central Station this morning, I saw a notice-board informing passengers that they should aim to be on board their train 30 seconds before it's scheduled departure time.

I also noticed that the main clock in Glasgow Central doesn't have a second hand.

19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You can rest easy... it doesn't. :)

It's a mystery why the bathroom coriolis effect myth has such a hold on people.

Which way does the water swirl down the plug hole in your bath? It depends on residual movement in the water. The earth would have to be spinning damned fast for the coriolis effect to have more influence on the movement of water in your bathtub than the influence you have on it getting out of the bath in the first place.

20. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I heard it best described thus: attraction is not a choice :)

people don't make a conscious and rational decisions about whether to get the hots for others... it's all subconscious (i.e. you don't have to think about whether you find a chick hot or not...) so you can't convince women to find you attractive by buying them dinner, flowers, diamonds etc.. not that they'd tell you that, obviously :)

the a-hole guy is the one they find attractive despite their conscious mind telling them he's an idiot, because just like all other animals... they go for the alpha-male who can fight, provide food and sire some offspring who'll survive... 'niceness' doesn't enter the equation :bawl: :)