The Five Pedals that EVERY Bass Player needs!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by archisland, Oct 11, 2021.

1. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm

Did a list thingy. I have a feeling that it'll annoy quite a few people! :D

zubrycky, BOOG, groooooove and 3 others like this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    It’s one opinion. And a good start for anyone who is contemplating getting their first pedal.

And I don’t think you’ll actually annoy people. But You’ll definitely find many who will disagree with your essential selection. Especially if they’re not rock bassists. For example, I wouldn’t consider an octave or drive/distortion pedal a necessity. And I’m a bass player who doesn’t believe in using chorus on bass at all. ;)

About the only pedal you’ll probably find almost full agreement on is a tuner.

3. archisland

archisland

Mar 5, 2016
    Stockholm
    Haha I know :) But the title “The five pedals that every rock/metal and/or top 40 bass player should consider for his or her pedalboard!” doesn’t have the same ring to it :)

In a way, I envy guys who just go straight into the amp and are happy about it - but, then again I’m also pretty darn happy with my own tone and the options it gives me :)

to each their own, I guess!

BOOG, scott sinner, BlueTalon and 2 others like this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    A lot depends on the amp they’re using. One big mistake some pedal users make is trying to compensate for an inadequate amp. Best piece of advice I ever got when I started exploring pedals was: “Don’t spend money on pedals when what you really need is a better amp.” Especially now that five decent pedals can easily cost as much as a good amp.

So the first priority is to get your amp choice squared away. Because it’s as much a part of your instrument as the bass guitar itself is. After that you can rock out on pedals as much as you want without fear of wasting your time or money.

Yep! Because at the end of the day, that’s all that really matters. If it’s good for you then it’s all good. Period. :cool::)

First rule of the road on your music journey: Never sign on to anyone’s trip but your own. :thumbsup:

5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Boost, overdrive, distortion, vintage fuzz, and crazy off-the-chain post modern fuzz.

6. I always think that those « essentials » lists are a bit funny. It all depends on what you play, the context you’re playing in and even how your playing evolves. I grew up a metal bass player. I hated distortion on bass back then. I didn’t use effects. Now, I play… well I’m not even sure what style my band plays but we like it. My playing is somewhere between jam band funky jazz rock progressive alternative. Anyways, now, on the board, 5 essentials to me would be envelope filter, bass synth stuff, drive, chorus and maybe octave. Always on compressor makes room on the floor as well as a rack or built into your amp tuner! ;)

Gearhead17 likes this.
  7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    Hard to imagine a gig you couldn't handle with dirt, octave, filter, and something that wobbles. Add a fuzz and I'm pretty much all set.

But none are essential, and for proof I submit most recordings ever and hundreds of years of combined experience, including fifteen of mine, with no effects other than studio compression.

BillMason likes this.
  8. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I have 5 pedals on my bass pedal board
    Octaver>volume pedal>AutoWah>Chorus>EQ

So I have 2 of his 5, but I can also set the AutoWah or the EQ to give me some OD/dirt

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    VxDgZ1.jpg

design likes this.
  10. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    I have a stereo splitter, ab switch, wah… distortion (tuner, eq, compressor, mild to wild distortion, di out, dirty and clean out, headphones out, ipod/midi in)

erratick and zontar like this.
  11. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Tuner

12. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    My 5

E80604-B8-8218-4740-95-B3-ECB321-E67-B39.jpg

Jim Nazium likes this.
  13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Still haven't found a use for an Octave pedal in a live situation. The cover bands I have been a part of have never needed it. It's really about the tone you are trying to achieve and the band you need to use it in. "Essential Pedals" is really an oxymoron.

14. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Right on. Those are the pedals I have on my board, minus the overdrive which I have on my amp head.

That being said, I use the tuner a lot, the compressor is always on (mild setting) and the others get used sparingly.

15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Cool video, a nice primer for people getting started with effects.

I'm not an effects guy, so i think it's useful to think of pedals in two categories: utilities and effects.

In your video, I'd call the first two utilities, and they are indeed useful for most bass players. The other three are neat effects that are cool for many, but not useful for those of us who play clean 100% of the time.

Other utilities that I find useful for non-effects players:
    • line switcher (for switching between multiple instruments without unplugging; can also match gain between passive and active instruments)
    • EQ
    • HPF
    A lot of these utilities will be applied at the mix desk in a pro live or recording scenario, but they are super valuable to have in your signal path when you have anything less than top-flight FOH support.

16. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Not bad. Except its a want, not a need.

17. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    Here's my list of the five pedals every bass player needs:
    Tuner
    EQ
    Compressor
    Gas
    Brake

I like to keep it simple.

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It was the first pedal I thought of relative to the cover music I play. So you’re right on; the gig is the most important thing here.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  19. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    That's actually pretty close to what I've got..
    Tuner (boss)
    envelope filter (MXR - okay, not on your list..)
    compressor (MXR)
    chorus (some old Ibanez pedal)
    distortion (YYZ pedal)

I need to get a bit larger board so I can - wait for it - put the micro POG on there too; that's the octaver :)
    So then I would have 5 out of 5 + the bonus of the envelope filter.

I don't know that I would call any of them "essential" other than the tuner. Good video!

Regards
    Mark

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Fuzz Face, Tone Bender Fuzz, Muff, Octave Fuzz, Oscillator Fuzz.

Hmm, that’s 5, no filter fuzz?

BillMason and Dubious Aa like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022