Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Flaming Lips.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Has anyone heard/been listening to their new album Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots?

Here's the link to the album (you can listen to whole thing through this player Here )

I've been listening to it for a couple days now, and I think it's great.

Anyone else think so? No? Oh, that's okay.

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Not bad. I'm gonna listen to it some more. I like the synth effects and the drumming.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Great album, actually I own three Flaming Lips records and they are all great and truly original/unique.

4. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Saw them live, then picked up the cd and was disappointed... it grew on me though. I really like Fight Test, and One More Robot.

If you have an oppurtunity to see them live, don't pass it up.

5. One of my favorite albums actually. I like to listen to it straight through. Great stuff.

6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    First Band I ever saw- at festival- as a wide eyed 15 year old.
    It's a fine, fine album- there's something about that reminds me too much of Mercury rev. though.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's hardly - "new"! I've had the CD for a couple of years now!

It was released in the UK in July 2002!!

8. That album came out like Bruce says, two years ago - it won a shed load of awards and was unanymously declared album of the year here in thr UK by the 'quality' music press - their previous album 'The Soft Bulletin' is also excellent.

Mad band live as well - lots of big furry creatures on stage....quite trippy.

9. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I like the Soft Bulletin, haven't heard Yoshimi. I'm sure it's pretty cool. It was nicer when they played as a band, though. I'm a "Clouds Taste Metallic"/"Transmissions From the Satellite Heart" kinda guy. Seeing them on tour for "Soft Bulletin" was a bit of a letdown, even though it was a fun show.

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan

Man don't worry about it. Us Brits have to desperately cling on to an apparent sense of knowing what's going on in the musical world in an attempt to hide the fact that, as a nation our musical peak passed 25 years (or longer) ago. :D

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yoshimi is a great cd - I have a dvd of them at Glastonbury (sp?) and that band is one of the weirdest out there...

12. AllegroNonMolto

AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    Yoshimi in surround sound(available on their website) rocks.

13. I love the album, but I kind of wonder how much the production crew added to the record. It seems like if you took out all the space sounds and production it would be a basic folk-rock kind of thing.

Not to dis the band, cuz they're good, but I wonder about this sometimes. Like, for example, what would Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot sound like without the added production? Would it be as good? I've always sort of been against adding too much production in the studio and trying to capture it through the basic playing of music. But whatever. It's still a fun album to listen to. My favorite on Yoshimi is the second track.