Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the flat, metal pickup covering on fender vintage basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theremizzle, May 15, 2005.

1. theremizzle

theremizzle

May 15, 2005
    mmkay fellas, I just completed my new p-bass. Its great, its got a nice oak, natural wood finish, weights about 6 pounds (its solid oak), basically I love everything about what I have created. I have a sort of beach-ish motif on it, vintage beach. The nice sandy color of the oak blended with styleized chrome and abalone knobs and inlays. I stand back, look at it, and think "Goddamn, I know what this needs". If you go to fender.com, you can see what I'm talking about. Look at the vintage basses, the p-basses, and there is some sort of covering over the pickups. I need one of those. Can one of you fellas lend me the name of that little piece of hardware? Where I can get one? They look so slick. By the way, my aim screenname is totungkinder, if any of you guys want to view some pictures of my bass. Just a happy guy showing off his work. The pics dont include the abalone knobs or inlays, those are more recent.

Also, if any of you guys want a semi-affordable custom body for your bass, I may be able to be of service. No necks, although I will shape your peghead if you provide shipping.

2. they are called ashtrays, or pickup/bridge covers. you can get them many places nowadays. www.basspartsresource.com is where i got mine.

3. theremizzle

theremizzle

May 15, 2005
    gnarly! perfect, thats exactly it. Both you guys have a great day, cuz I am now.

4. ha. yea, they are pretty sweet. on one of my p-basses, i glued some felt under the bridge cover ala jamerson. it sounded pretty awesome.