Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Jan 29, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Right flea basses
    im really confused it is said they sound best with lane poor pickups and im not sure what they have now but it aint as good ive heard so

has anyone played either or both versions?
    is it a massive difference?

sorry for bein stupid :rolleyes:
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I've not played either, but to answer your query about what pickups are used now: The standard pickup is a Basslines MM pickup and there is an option for a Bartolini pickup, according to the Modulus site.

As for what's good and what's bad...that's a tough one, as I've read contrasting reviews even about the Lane Poor Flea (i.e. some loved the Lane Poor and others thought it was poor and like the Bartolini or Basslines better.)
  3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    And does anyone know what they are like to play
    i like the idea of a carbon neck but is it just a little ott
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I had one with a Lane Poor (older used model) and was not impressed..
  5. ... whereas my '97 flea 4 string w/ lane poor is, hands down, the *best* bass I have ever played. My experience is rather limited though, with only MIM and MIJ fenders, schecter, Guild and Alvarez tried. I went through all those basses in around 5 years time, and I have yet to "trade up" or even think about trading up after getting the Flea.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if the next post is negative on the Flea. Goes to show - it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
  6. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    I've got the basslines pickup in mine at the minute and I actually prefer it to the Lane Poor! I have an LP pickup but something about the SD I just prefer.

Mines got the aguilar pre-amp as well, I also prefer this to the bartolini set up.

As for playability I find the phenolic fingerboard to make a really good playing surface, really fast and smooth playing(IMO). People give the Flea bass a hard time sometimes purely because its a signature model...

It slaps well, taps well, it'll do just about anything you want it to! Also is the straight up best live rock bass I've played!

It won't always sound like Flea (as some people assume). Its got a huge variety of tones and the aggie pre amp is always huge sounding. Great punch as well!
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I had a Green Flea bass with Lane Poors.
    Like a fool I sold it.
    This bass with the Lane Poor pickups was one of the nicest
    basses i've ever owned.
    Still trying to buy it back from my friend.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That post almost read like a haiku to me :eyebrow:
  9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Cool thanks

does anyone know of a dealer apart from bass central that has one second hand..
    you see living in ireland i dont want to take the chance of ordering it off Ebay... a silver sparkle one please[YUMMY]
    thanks guys
  10. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i bought a used flea bass a little more than a year ago. when i got it, it had a bartolini pickup and preamp in it. i thought it sounded pretty awful. it was kind of muddy sounded and lacked character. i switched it out for a lane poor pickup and an aguilar preamp and the difference was much better.

as for playability...the flea bass is the most solid bass i've ever played. i live in new england where weather can change pretty drastically....and while the wooden necks on my 2 other bassed moved pretty badly, the carbon neck on the flea didn't move at all. it has very low action and the neck is pretty thin. and as said this is THE bass to use for slap. hope this helps.
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I haven't been impressed with Lane Poor pickups in any bass. I've owned two basses equipped with them, and have played several other with them including a Modulus Flea bass, and my impressions of the pickups have been of disappointment. The ones that I've come across have sounded clear, but were way too thin sounding IMO. I'd take the SD equipped pickups in a Flea any day over the LP equipped models.
  12. Hmm I think lane poor pickups can be a tad brittle sounding? The flea bass is just AWESOME for slap btw, you wont be disappointed.
  13. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I have never had a problem buying a used bess off ebay. I stay away from people with feedback less than 98% and look for sellers that look like they are more like collectors than dealers. Lots of clear pictures is also a requirement of mine.
    I have never been burned.
    I kind of use ebay as a lending library. Over the years I have purchased all but one (my first) of my basses on ebay. Probably 12 purchases and 7 sales. (I still have 6).
    Put it this way. I could probably buy 3-4 more basses with the savings.
  14. I absolutley love my flea and IMO it is hands down one of the bast basses I have ever played and the best one I have ever owned after 2 Warwick Corvettes, a Thumb BB LE and some other randoms like fenders, brice, etc etc. I have the aggie set up and the tones i can get out of this thing are just unbelievable. I love how thick it can get with the slap and also fingerstyle tones. My action is sickly low with no buzz or intonation woes. I just love the thing.
  15. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
  16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España