The Flight of the Fodera...Up Interstate 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, May 22, 2003.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks to Jared's recent Fodera sale-a-bration, I am the new owner of what appears to be a pretty special instrument. Yes, this beauty has migrated up the I5 from San Diego to Oceanside! Thanx a million times, Jared, for a sweet, smooth and righteous deal.

Specifically, it's a 2001 Fodera Monarch 6 fretless. You may have seen it here and elsewhere but for those who may not, here's a brief description:

Mahogany wings
    Flame maple tone block
    3-piece maple neck
    Kingwood fingerboard
    Seymour Duncan dual coil pickups w/cocobolo covers
    18v Pope preamp
    Buckeye Burl top
    35 inch scale

According to Joey at Fodera, it's the only Monarch 6 neck-through in existence with wide spacing. Apparently, Oteil Burbridge has a recent one with narrower spacing. So these are not out there in quantity, at least with these features.

Haven't gigged it yet as I've been preoccupied with setting it up to my specs, cleaning, re-stringing, etc. Initial reaction is, as might be expected, wow! Amazing sounding, playing, looking, you name it.

I'll gig it either tomorrow night or on June 6 and post a full review. In the meantime, here's recent pics from the boogiebass backyard:

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Those pics are makin me sorry I sold it Carl! ;)

I'm glad it is close enough for visits...

I'd also like to mention that Carl is a super nice guy and it was very cool getting a chance to meet and talk for a bit. :)
  3. That bass looks great in the pictures and even better in person. Congradulations on the beautiful instrument.

I feel a little strange, I saw so many of Jared's basses through Bass Alone, but never had the chance to meet him.
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    That sure is a pretty sweet bass. Congrats!

Sound clips!!! ;)
  5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Great looking bass. Here is another 6er.

6. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    That is still probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing Foderas I've seen.
    That ebony one ain't too shabby though.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Mmm! Can i have it? :D
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I felt the same way when I was peering through his window last week.

brad cook

huh?! :confused:
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    jared's starting to kinda become the reverse version of Funkycarnivore. ;)
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Does that mean Im loud and obnoxious? :D
  11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I think it's in Japan. I've only seen three 6 string monarch's. I think they look really good!!
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I hate I5, specially when it gets down to where there is the turns to get to freeways that lead to burbank international and crap... i want to destroy that EVIL road.

(To make this bass related)

That is a grea looking bass.
  13. Very nice bass! Does it really say "Ultimate" on the side of the neck?? What's that about?

14. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Actually I believe it's the stand.

15. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    I don't care for multi-stringers but that's incredible (especially, the funky pink string ends)

What's the Kingwood board like? I've never heard of it, looks like lighter coloured rosewood.
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's a fairly hard wood and, according to Fodera, great for fretless boards. The grain reminds me a little of wenge in that it has some open areas. It sounds pretty good, to say the least!
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats. That's one SLAMMING bass!!!!!
  18. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    so it's got a higher tolerance to roundwounds?

I can't tell from the pic, do you use flats?
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, it's about two years old and appears that it's always been strung with rounds. There was some fb wear but I dressed the board (following Joey's advice) with very fine steelwool/sandpaper and mineral oil. I was able to remove virtually every mark. I would say the wood is hard, yes. I have no concern about wear with rounds at all. The fingerboard is 1/4" thick. I use stainless steel rounds. The strings in the pics are Ken Smith Custom Balance Tapercore steels.
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanx, man. It think it's gonna be a real butt-kicker! :D