Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The flutest who wouldnt keep her mouth on the flute.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Seraphim, Sep 7, 2004.

1. okay, so my new school year started today, and i had music on my time table because i was hoping to learn theory, then i remember i cant play anyhting exept electric bass, i thought damn, i wont be able to play it for the class. so the teacher asks me "Dylan, what instrument are you going to play?" "i only know how to play bass guitar" "okay, thats perfect" then someone in the flute section had the gall to pipe up and say "bass, HAH that isnt even a real instrument, you probly suck at it anyway" :eek: :scowl: this girl was totally slamming me, and most importantly bass in general. now i felt like belting some comments about her flute, but, i didnt want to let myself become so low that i would insult a tool of art. now im wondering, do you think bass, guitar and to a lesser extent drum players recieve more feedback to how good/bad/"talentless" they are because the bar has been set so high by bands and professional musicians in the mainstream, and to how they arnt real instruments if they are popular at all? im interested to see what everyones opinion on this is.

2. She must've not been a very good flute player. Anything to take the question off her playing... :)

Man, if I was in that position I'd just belt out some slap-bass riffs.

3. oh, i felt like administering a well placed boot to the back of her head more than anything. but, the gender difference would have been a very big problem.

but ill get her one day, when shes practising for a test ill turn the amp all the way up and play my name is mud.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    to most classical players anything electric is considered more or less fake or cheesy. I play at a classical school and your not allowed to play any electric instruments unless your doing some sort of jazz study, which i do. Ask her how many flute players are making more than $100,000 a year and how many electric bass players are, thatll shut her up.

5. Hahah, yes indeed.

I think in any case an incident like that gives one good incentive to practice.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

+1

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

now im wondering, do you think bass, guitar and to a lesser extent drum players recieve more feedback to how good/bad/"talentless" they are because the bar has been set so high by bands and professional musicians in the mainstream, and to how they arnt real instruments if they are popular at all? im interested to see what everyones opinion on this is.

I'd think it's more likely a reaction to the perceived lack of theory, particularly reading skills, that players of those instruments are saddled with. Playing awesome slap lines ain't gonna change that either, allsimsayin'.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Next time she does that, laugh hysterically. I mean for an uncomfortably long amount of time. Then stop immediately and act like nothing happened.

OR (this idea most likely will get you in trouble, don't say I didn't warn you :D )

Take her flute sheet music (treble clef) and replace it with the tuba music (bass clef). I bet she won't be able to play it at all, but if she does it will be extremely funny. Then return to hysterical laughter again.

P.S. Had an even better idea, take the flute music and replace it with the sheet music for the drums/percussion.

9. Bass gets you more sex,so bass is better.

Also...Flutes* are lame :D

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

:cool:

11. "This one time, at band camp..."

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I met a woman who played violin who acted like that. She was surprised that I could read at all. The really funny part happened when the band leader told us to improvise. The rest of the band did, but she was lost. I made sure to stare at her and smirk the entire time. I didn't say anything to her at all.

13. those are quite possibly the greatest ideas ive ever heard in my entire life.. by the way.. is it healthy to name your bass? and think of a personality for it? cause.. im in wacko land..

14. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My bass is called Amy. Ok. Back On Topic.

I'm with Osama entirely on this.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

Priceless!

I have had that experience with a lot of classically trained brass, woodwind and strings players. Can play their arses off if you put a piece of music in front of them, but don't have a clue how to improvise or play by ear.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And they wonder how we do it :D
    To many of them there's nothing outside the box to think about :p

But back to the roots of this...

She knows that flutes are not part of popular music and she will never make it as big as many bass and guitar and drum-players do, even if she knows way more about theory and her instrument. It is subconscious envy that transforms into despisal.
    IMO.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Whatever blows your skirt up, buddy. None of the five instruments I have owned have had names, but suit yourself. :D

Let me reiterate though, the sheet music idea could quite possibly get you in trouble, so use at your own risk. :bassist:

If you tell them I gave you the idea, you're going down :bag:

:D

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Wow things have changed. When I was in High School people in the band did not speak. They did not make eye contact with anyone and they sure did not have the nerve to insult anyone. Especially a flute player. Flute players, tuba players, and anyone who plays some kind of brass intrument with lots of circular tubing (French Horn comes to mind) knew their place and said nothing to anyone. :rollno:

They lived in fear of getting stuffed into a locker or trash can, having their intrument taken away or worse. :eek: They were especially fearful of anyone who played , guitar, bass, or drums in a rock, ska or, Mod band.

Sounds like the band geeks don't know their place. You may have to re-establish the pecking order. :D

I for one never picked on the band people but I did benefit from their good behavior. It's a shame how you guys don't get to benefit like we did. The 80's were great.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Reminds me of a song by Garbage. "Stupid Girl," I think it's called.

20. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You exercised excellent restraint. Back when I was in school, if some flutist would have dissed me or my instrument, I probably would have commented on how they should go back to playing the "skin-flute". Then, I probably would have been directed by the teacher to make a familiar trek to the Vice-Principal's office :D .