Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Four Agreements

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    as some already know here, i like reading lots of new age and spiritual types of books. came across something not that long ago that i thought i'd just pass along here for anyone that might find it helpful - and it doesn't get religious, so this thread won't get closed. :D

the book is written my don miguel ruiz, and it's based on ancient toltec wisdom. it gets a lot deeper than what i'm gonna put here, but for brevity sake - these are the 4 agreements written of that they claim and i believe can really be life transforming:

1. BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY - Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS - Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST - Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different whan you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self abuse, and regret.
    - taken from the 4 agreements companion book.

when i first read them they made sense and sounded pretty simple. trying to whole-heartedly live them became another story for me :eek: .

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Us DBers always follow those...:cool:

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    HA! Doh! How'd I do that? Thanks, I'll go where I belong now.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    JOEN ERVE ARC,

I would never assume that you intentionally posted this in the DB forum as some kind of subliminal suggestion about how we might improve our behavior...and even if you did, I doubt I'd take it personally since I don't know you. I'll do my best to move it to the location for which it was originally intended - and on that point, I give you my word.

Godspeed. :)

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    nice read, i totally agree on those

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Looks good, type of thing that if everyone followed the world would be a better place.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It won't hurt you to live by those, for sure. However, it sometimes is necessary to make assumptions. There is always risk in making assumptions, because you may act on the basis of something other than fact but, occasionally, the result is worth the risk. Especially in fields of scientific research, for example. The key is to make well-informed assumptions, and to be ready to recognize and acknowledge a fallacy if it appears.

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What happened to my post? :confused:

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    i accidentally posted this in the DB section yesterday, then reposted it where i belong (interesting how quickly DBers recognize an outsider) and deleted this thread - but somehow both threads still exist. i dunno? you (moley) responded to the other thread.

i did my best to make right of my wrong, i assumed everything would be fine, i'm kinda taking it personally that the DBers didn't welcome me with open arms, and i basically think now that this whole thing sucks and i never should have posted it in the first place.

back to my books now.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah, their ability to smell "toy bassist" flesh is scary

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    See? You were right after all - if you hadn't broken this agreement, everything would be fine. ;) FWIW, I automatically move DB OT posts that are started by BGers (unless they have specific relevance to DBers) in order to avoid the inevitable complaints. Other than that (which I kind of understand), BGers are more than welcome to contribute to the DB forum, as many will attest. FWIW, I think the agreements are good rules to live by, and that there's not a damn thing wrong with this thread. :)

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Excellent advice, and some that has greatly impacted my life. I've learned that when people make general insults to a certain demographic, it's more of a problem with the insultee than with the insulter. You let yourself become insulted because of an ego attachment to the label. (George Bush used that greatly to his advantage when he was stirring patriotism a few months back, but I don't want to turn this into a political debate) I used to get insulted if someone made a blanket statement about a demographic or philosophy I adhere to. (i.e. "Christain's are stupid sheep", "American's are idiots", "Liberals are evil", "Bass players are failed guitarist" ;) ) Then I realized how pointless those insults are and I was just wasting my time, energy, and happiness getting riled up over stuff like that. Besides, usually when people make dumb statements like those, it's based on irrationality. I realized that I was putting to much emphasis on the actual labels and "what they stood for" rather than making them personal and using them for what they were intended for: To better my life. I always tell people not to put excessive amounts of cultural importance on music (I understand the relationship between culture and arts, but I don't think people should identify themselves just by the art they enjoy) and I think I've learned to do the same with other aspects of life. To me, it doesn't matter what Skeptic magizine thinks of my religous beliefs, what France thinks of America, what Anne Coulter thinks of my political beliefs, or what the guitarist's dumb girlfriend thinks about me being a bass player. It's all about how I percieve those things. Besides, part of the downside of free speech is people can say things that anger you. Anyways, if someone's going to start using ad hominem remarks in an argument, they just discredited themselves.

13. shoudlnt that be something people should live by anyway, regardless of whatever spiritual belief?

Though I slighty disagree with #2

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's in THIS thread.

15. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    There is your problem;)

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    nobody seemed to catch the fact the I WAS JOKING!

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    (*sniff*) That's because everyone knows that only REALBASS players are sophisticated enough to really pull off deadpan internet humor. C'mon, fess up: you've got a DB somewhere in your house, right?

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    i have a new fretless acoustic which would explain it. i'm in slow transition.

20. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Blah... I really don't buy that don't take it personally crap. My actions affect others, that's it. If i do something to hurt someone, it's not their fault and their problem (well, maybe, depends on how much i like them ;) ), it's more or less my fault...

Why should i be immune to others opinions? They might be great opinions!! This advice in itself is a catch 22, if I follow this advice I must be immune to other opinions, and therefor not follow the advice!! Bah!