Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The four-letter "F" word

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 12, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ford.

We've all heard the various clever plays on the Ford name: Found On Road Dead, etc. There's probably little sayings like that for every auto maker on the road today. Mike N had a pretty clever one for Hyundai that I thought was pretty good, though I can't remember it off of the top of my head.

There still seems to be a lot of prejudice against Ford, but I've found it's mostly from people that are a few generations older than me, especially people my father's age. I understand being passionate about certain things, and he drove a '67 Goat back in the days so I know those preferences stick for a lifetime, but I have to ask - how relevant is it today?

I kind of look at cars like basses - back in the day, you had crappy basses you bought from Sears, and then real basses. Now, there really are no _bad_ basses, it's just a matter of how nice you want it to be.

I know that some of the lower end Korean imports might not be up to snuff, but is Ford still putting out bad cars to deserve the reputation they have garnered thus far? They can't really be putting out cars that are as bad as people would have me believe - they're all over the place on the road!

I ask because I have been eyeing the Ford Escape, their small SUV. A 4-wheel drive Escape would still get acceptable gas mileage and fit the bill for what I am looking for. It's also pretty sharp looking, IMO.

[​IMG]

So, what say you? Any Ford owners care to chime in?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Once I finally get a real job, this is what I'm looking to pick up. You also might want to look into the hybrid model. I believe it is also available in 4WD. If you buy a new hybrid, there is a $3500 discount on your taxable income, IIRC.

I also like the Merc Mariner. Basically the same as an Escape, but a little more sharp...

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a 2000 mercury sable, and an 85 ford ranger. The 3.0 OHV engine is a good engine, as is the 4.0's in rangers and the SUV's. Some of the Duratec DOHC's had problems, but I am not sure about any of the more recent ones.

I will also tell you this, I would take a ranger over an s-10 anyday, but I would take a chevy 1500 silverado over an f150 anyday.

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I drive a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor...nice car...not as fast as the Chevy Impalas with the Corvette LT-1 engine that was in them. We're supposed to be getting the Dodge Charger soon...reviews to come.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My Mom has owned 5 brand new Saabs since 1978 (new one every few years).

She just traded her 2002 9-5 for a Ford "Freestyle" and could not be happier.

6. A good alternative to the Escape is the Mazda Tribute.
    [​IMG]
    The Tribute is one of the Ford made vehicles for Mazda, so it is pretty much identical except for some style differences. As far a features both Ford and Mazda has something different. So you would have to drive them both to find out what is more important to you.

The number one reason why I tell you this is because Mazda's warranty is better than Ford.

Ford: 3 yr./36,000
    Mazda: 4 yr./50,000

Mazda does start a bit higher in price, but not by much.

7. My parents have a '95 Windstar and a '04 Explorer. The Windstar is a piece of garbage, but the Explorer feels very refined.

8. My mom's got a Windstar (I don't know what year), and it's a nice vehicle. I like it a lot.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Not to hijack this thread, but I still cannot believe there are no diesel engines on US markets.

A modern diesel engine gets the same performance with 33% less gas with plenty of torque in the low register, so it would be quite nice for SUV-class vehicles. Also, diesel is cheaper than gas, about 20% cheaper around here.

With modern gas prices, I've been fantasizing about a small estate with 1.4l TDI engine, that would get me about 65-70mpg on the highway compared to my 37ish on my Nissan, and at lesser fuel price too :ninja:

10. There are diesel engines in the US, just not the cool ones that you guys in Europe have. We don't get the fancy 50 mpg ones. Thank you American Motor and Oil companies.

Rock on
    Eric

11. The only company that's really pushing diesel cars in the US seems to be VW. I was actually looking at buying a TDI (diesel) Jetta until the sports car bug bit me.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Also, I think one of the main reasons diesels never took off is because the emissions are more visible and get a bad rap for being dirtier. I was actually looking into a TDI if I scored a job with an 80 mile commute.

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've owned Fords in the past.

I'm going to need to hear a LOT of people being VERY happy with there cars for YEARS before I ever think of owning one again. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My wife's best friend has one, and she and her husband like it a lot. If I hadn't had my heart set on a Honda CRV for our new car, we would have looked hard at an Escape. The features are pretty compatible, and it actually looks better than the Honda. There's just that little problem about it not having the little silver "H" on the front....

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I bought a 1990 F-250 4x4 in 1994. I have had zero problems with it. Regular maintenance is all I do, well besides customizations.

I used this truck for construction work for nine years. I hauled around sheetrock, steel scaffolding, angle iron, steel studs, job boxes, four wheelers, had it on jobsites with mud 2-3' deep, drove it on the freeway 75 miles one way for almost a year without any mechanical problems. I rarely drive it now. But when I hop in it for a run to the dump or somewhere else, it starts right up on the first try and blows hot air from the defrost in about two minutes. I am never, ever going to sell this truck. I have only owned Ford pickups since I started driving in 1986. I got my love for Ford pickups from my pop.

-Mike

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I might eventually look into a diesel car, but part of the problem here is that diesel is no cheaper than gasoline. But the engine sizes that I would need for my line of work (independent contracting) prohibit using small cars with small engines. My 85 truck works just fine with it's 2.8 V6.

17. Well I guess I can put my .02 in.

I had a 1991 Mazda Navajo(a rebadged 2 door Explorer) that we bought new. In 12 years we put just short of 175,000 miles on it before selling it. Only problems were the AC had to be replaced when we moved to the desert(too many years of not using it lead to alot of dry rot, or something) and the suspension bushing near the passenger side exhaust manifold kept wearing out- got too hot next to the exhaust. The second time it happened, I wrapped it and the exhaust in some kind of asbestos wrap welders use to keep from burning stuff up in tight spots. Problem solved. The AC I can't blame on Ford, and the bushing problem was easy to correct(though Ford could've done a better engineering job). only other money outlays were for normal wear and tear and maintainence. Good truck.

After that we bought a year old Mazda Tribute, a 2003 model, I think(rebadged and better content Escape). Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

a couple of things to note- the Mazda's have a higher starting price because they have more "stuff" than the Escapes. If you're looking used, weirdly enough, the same higher content rides sell for less than similar Escapes- at least around here. Brand recognition is for suckers, if ya ask me. I'll take my Tribute, thank you.

At the same time, we also bought a Olds Intrigue, and if this thing is reflective of GM's build quality and attention to detail in it's other makes, well...:rollno: The dohc engine is great, but Christ on a cracker, can't they figure out how to permanently attach trim, build window lifts that last as long as the rest of the car(I've replaced 4- one window twice)and don't cost $300+ for parts alone, switch gear that doesn't get hot to the touch(this isn't a luxury option- the service guys had no idea what was wrong), rattleless frontends and mirrors, and my favorite: transmissions that implode at 25,000 miles. This isn't lemon law stuff, either- Intrigue forums that were around when we bought the car repeated the same complaints. Great car otherwise.:hyper:

Over the years, we've had Fords, Hondas, Mazdas, Nissans, and Isuzus, Chevys as well as that Olds and numerous weird stuff- MGs, Healeys, Harleys and others. Not exactly brand loyal around here, so I figure my .02 is farly unbiased. Take it for what it's worth.

Bob

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've had a few Fords. My first car purchase after the Navy was a Tempo, back in 1988. It died and was replaced by a Nissan pickup, my only new vehicle purchase, ever. I had to let my beloved pickup go away when I got a daughter, though. Those baby seats take up too much space.

So I traded in my beloved truck for a Chevy Astro, the least 'mini' of all the minivans. It was actually a pretty good vehicle, a great gig-mobile. I drove it till it died, with only 253,640 miles on it.

Since the Astro, I've only had Ford SUV's. I traded the Astro in for an Explorer. I liked it. It was a good truck. But it was a little small for camping purposes with me, my wife, our daughter, a teenaged son, and usually one of his friends. So I traded up to an Expedition. I have four payments left on it.

Oh, I forgot. My wife has a '97 Taurus that has been worked hard. It was declared totalled after minor body damage a couple of years ago, because an 18-wheeler rode up our drivers rear quarter panel, but other than a wrinkled back left side it's still somewhat mechanically sound (Okay. I hate the car, but it works.) after 175,000 miles.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fast Only Rolling Downhill
    Full Of Rusty Dents
    Falling Off Rusty Doors

Hope You Understand Nothings Driveable And Inexpensive

;)

20. As stated, there are diesels in this market, but not as many as yours. Over here, diesel costs as much or usually more than regular unleaded gasoline. It is not offered at every fill up station, either. The most common diesel you're going to see here (at least where I live) is in a pick up truck.

In other news, Mercedes has quietly let a diesel slip back into their US line up and smartly made it's performance above that of its gasoline counter parts.

Mike