that's right, i yanked the frets from my aria "CAT" bass. as some of you may remember, i got this bass for free, as a little gift, which was the only reason i had the courage to undertake this task. i'm not exactly handy with tools or physical objects in general. but that didn't stop me from getting busy with this thing that i found at the local hardware store, perfect for the job. i chipped the fingerboard quite a bit on some of the frets before i got the hang of it, oh well. i then filled in the gaps with wood filler. this took a long time, as i would squeeze it in there, pack it down with a razor, and do it again. it took about 4 times for each fret hole. then came the sanding, starting with coarse, and using fine paper when the board started feeling smooth. prior to this, the bass had the darkest rosewood board i'd ever seen, almost black. sanding it revealed a lighter layer and some interesting patterns in the wood. nothing fancy, but come on, it is rosewood after all. here are a couple of the worse frets. oops. here are some less terrible ones: the money shot, and my snazzy new strap. so, i could have done a prettier job, but hey, function over form. and this baby really functions. i'm having a great time and it sounds great, my intonation notwithstanding. the PJ pickups are great for fretless. i can get the paul simonon fretless P tone, or the soloed jazz bridge pickup, and i think we all know who used that!* *fieldy.