1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    :D :cool:

2. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Awesome, good to know. Its nowhere near needing to get resurfaced yet, but given my playing style and love of rounds... well. It'll need it at some point ;P

JIO likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Having it Plek'd is a bit pricey but well worth it. I've never had a fretless Plek'd but all the fretted necks I've had custom made end with a Plek-job.

herndonbassist likes this.
  4. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Ladies and gents, I am seriously considering getting a Fender Jaco fretless (not the distressed one).

I’ve never owned a fretless but played a friend’s Precision fretless for a couple of months in the late 70’s.

I would like some advice, words of wisdom, etc. for such a purchase.

Thanks!

kirkdickinson likes this.
  5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you want a MIA Lined fretless jazz, I say go for it. Is there something in particular that draws you to the Jaco fretless?

12BitSlab likes this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Seems like many of the same things to consider as any bass - how it feels to play, how it sounds to your ears, and if you like the way it looks. (and of course is it affordable)

12BitSlab likes this.
  7. 12BitSlab

Nov 28, 2016
    My #1 is a '75 Jazz that I bought new. The feel and everything about works for me.

8. 12BitSlab

Nov 28, 2016
    I haven't had the opportunity to hear one in person. My local GC and Sam Ash don't keep them in stock. Before I ordered one in order to hear it, I wanted to get some advice.

The ONLY issue with the money is the length of the sales cycle (i.e., convincing the wife). :whistle:

9. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    How do you feel about lined vs. unlined? I struggle with lined boards especially converted necks that have the dots where a fretted bass has them. I prefer the dot where the fret would be. This is how most fretless basses are but not sure about the Jaco. If it's a true reproduction then it should be like a factory fretless conversion. If you haven't touched a fretless in a long time it would probably be easier to adjust.

Other than the missing pickguard...:) looks good to me.

12BitSlab likes this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    It will be difficult to assess without playing it - even on-line reviews will only reveal how it sounds processed for the vid and played by the previewer. If buying new from Guitar Center or Sam Ash etc on line, at least you can try it and send it back if it's not what you want.

12BitSlab likes this.
  11. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    yup. I would just try playing as many local fretless basses available to you before committing on any model inparticular... including other brands... At the very least by doing so you will have a better idea of what you like when you do get your hands on a Jaco and find that just might not be it....or perhaps the complete opposite and you find bliss!

12. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Does the Jaco have a coated fingerboard? That will make a difference in feel and tone.

13. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Can anyone give me some recommendations on pickups for my jazz fretless. The body is a CV 70's Squier with original pickups. The output is so much less than all my other basses.

I have found over the years that I'm not a fan of the sound of bridge pickups. I've had a few P/J basses and always end up only using the P. I've got an 8 string LTD with two soapbar pickups and find I only use the neck pickup. On the fretless J I keep trying to get a sound I like using the bridge pickup..... everything from soloed to just blending in a little and always end up with just the neck pickup.
    I'm starting to wonder if I should just order a Warmoth G4 body with EMG or Bartolini pickup rout.

14. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I put a set of Lollar pickups in my fretless Jazz and I really like those, but if you need more power from the (otherwise excellent) CV Squier, I'd get a stacked pickup or a powerhouse like the Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder...

This is going to be an interesting comparison. Might swap the Bartolini pickups for something else though. Don't know which ones yet.
    [​IMG]

BakedMaple, Les Fret and JIO like this.
  15. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I have lollars in my Jazz as well, I honestly have no idea how anyone could require more ooomph. Mine are deep and punchy. But I also have a sadowsky preamp on board that I mostly never use. Bartolini most definitely benefit from a boost and I have some soapbars with their preamp which sounds great.

It would be interesting to hear them against the QP. I have some DiMarzios in a p bass that are so hot I'm thinking of putting something else in there.

16. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

My personal Fretless Club.

All fretless 9-20-19.

Slaymus, MonetBass, armybass and 13 others like this.
  17. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Recorded a new experimental trippy fusion track on my fretless Wal bass this week. Hope you like it!

18. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH

King Crimson/Eno fan?

Matthew_84 and Les Fret like this.
  19. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    :thumbsup: Sure Fripp, Eno, Brand X, Bowie, Mahavishnu and many more!

20. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Awesome! I've seen three of those over the past 1.5 years.

Sounds good. You can hear the influence in a good way.

Matthew_84 and Les Fret like this.
  21. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok thanks! I don't like it when it is copied or when it is too obvious so I always try to do it my own way. But I am sure you can hear the influences.
    Which three by the way? It can't be Bowie.. :(