1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RyoCanCan

RyoCanCan

Oct 8, 2019
    Finland
    Thanks!

The playability and ergonomics are good up to about 12th position in my usual pose sitting down, but better if on resting on left leg. That's just bad design on my part as the leg rest area is way too high up. On a strap though it's all good. It's all flat btw, the board and neck profile. Much more comfier than it has the right to be.

Maybe some day in the future I'll redo the design, but that's not the very near future as I have other things to do.

JRA and Matthew_84 like this.
  2. Nice man! Yeah, I actually like the flat neck, with the thicker piece along the top which should help keep it straight. I prefer pretty flat necks though.

Anyways, have fun with it! I’d love to play a bass that I made.

RyoCanCan likes this.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    First off - welcome to tb! :) So that's a very interesting design - now that it's playable, what do you like about it and what would you do differently next one? Questions: Is it your first stab at making a bass? does the lower side of the neck have a round-over? Is the (thick bar) string-retainer doubling as a hs damper to help avoid dead-notes? What scale is it? And finally what do the characters represent? Inquisitive minds want to know!

note: just saw your post about the leg-rest design needing to change, so got that -

4. RyoCanCan

RyoCanCan

Oct 8, 2019
    Finland
    Thanks for having me!

So, likes and dislikes
    +The string tensions are actually pretty proper for it's size.
    +It's very stable, even without a truss rod.
    +Surprisingly light. (haven't weighed, but feels light)
    +Concept.
    -Kinda awkward. (weird scale length but proper spacing)
    -It's a chunk of wood.
    -Pretty rushed.
    -It shows that knowledge of something doesn't always transition into experience. But it's a positive at the same time as it's a learning experience.

What I'd do differently:
    -Bigger main body.
    -Different materials. (if nothing but to try out something new)
    -More planning.
    -Prototyping.
    -More carving. (ergonomics)
    -Refine the shape.
    -Maybe go headless as the design looks real top heavy as is.

Answers to questions-->
    -It's the first one that I've done, though not my first design.
    -The neck is very lumber-y feeling. It has been round over, although it's not very apparent from the pics.
    -The retainer bar damps the strings.
    -It's 25.5''. Felt it was easy to design with that scale in mind.
    -The characters represent what it says romanized, chibi, which can be translated as ''little'' or ''runt''.

I hope the text isn't too heavy and boring to read :D

TL;DR: Is ok, can really be better.

Matthew_84, AB Nate and JIO like this.
  5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Thanks for that - if you plan on another build, you should check out the Luthiers Corner section of tb. Very inclusive and friendly people there who are always busy making basses and sharing information.

RyoCanCan likes this.
  6. RyoCanCan

RyoCanCan

Oct 8, 2019
    Finland
    I've checked the luthiers corner before. Really cool stuff. I think my next build is a parts bass but someday I'll make a bass, hardware and all, just to make it extra special :)

Oh, and number please!

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I haven't been active on the forum lately, but this has been my main (and only bass) for the past 3 years now. Currently its helping me get through my Composition degree. It's kind of strange playing fretless for so long and then hopping on a bass with speed bumps and being thrown off 20191109_114822.

Matthew_84, MonetBass, equill and 4 others like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

RyoCanCan likes this.
  9. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Hokay fellow fretless fiends, my SR370F needs a new preamp, any other good options besides a Bart 3bander? I'm also looking at a DG tone capsule.

10. I've been thinking about an Audere in combination with Alumitone pickups, for what that's worth.

rutrho likes this.
  11. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    As much as I do love DG stuff and have the time capsule in 2 of my basses, including my fretless, I feel that the glockenklang is a better suited pre for feetless having experienced both similar basses. Currently I have 2 DGTCs and 2 3 band glockenklangs.
    The mid focussed controls of the DG are really cool and what prompted me to put it in a fretless but having experienced it I find it very clinical where as the glockenklang is amazingly musical and that’s why I feel it’s better suited for a fretless instrument.

Darkglass
    855672A9-805D-4EDE-A10A-31C166E8ED81.
    the fret less pictured has the Darkglass
    Where as the other 3 have the glockenklang for reference. With that the glockenklang has a nice passive tone control as well where as the dark glass does not 7435CFA8-8D5A-46DF-BD46-196D0F680F1F.

Abner, Matthew_84, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  12. 96260D8D-4D93-40DE-863A-18A9AE09B359. It’s been really nice getting reacquainted with this beauty after three months in storage. I’m probably going to ditch the TIJFs for some D’Addario Tapes around Christmas time. (Already in Fretless club)

12BitSlab, Matthew_84, JRA and 2 others like this.
  13. Should I ask why you spent three months in storage?
    :ducks:

(It does look like a nice instrument, though)

Lee Moses likes this.
  14. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    East...

15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    My latest experiment: Radius sanded (16") then 8 coats of Tru-Oil on the FB, letting it dry 24 hours between coats, and using 0000 steel wool before the next coat went on. Final coat dried for two weeks, then I polished and waxed it (lightly). It is so smooth now. I played on it for about an hour and the finish did not show any signs of marking by the roundwound strings. Will it hold up over time? We'll see. And the nice thing is this didn't change the sound of the instrument much. It's still warm and woody.
    v3s3v4I.

16. Hold up, you have an unlined Dingwall fretless?

You’re a brave soul.

4StringTheorist and Lee Moses like this.
  17. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Lol. Brave... yeah..... foolishly so at times.

Not so in this case. It’s the same neck as my fretted basses and feels quite natural to me.

the same as a parallel fretted(less) bass would feel to a non Dingwall player.
    And ultimately I believe it has helped improve my ear

Matthew_84 likes this.
  18. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    oh man, those basses are A+, yesssssss.

RE: my ibby, its kind of a cheapo one that I don't really ever play clean with, but I'll look into the east and the glockenclang. They both sound like they probably cost as much as I spent on the bass, haha. I'm sure I'll need to replace the pickups as well, but who knows at this point. It plays great though and I'd like to keep it around as backup but we'll see if I want to dump any major amount of money into it, because it sounds very bleeeehhhhh at the moment.

muscle memory and knowing the neck of your bass goes a long way there. I want to jump into unlined fretless land before too much longer...
    Besides, if you're standing up you're not looking down at your fretting hand anyways...

AB Nate likes this.
  19. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

An Audere classic punches waaaaay above its price class. When I had one of their 4 bands, I was really fond of the ability to change both mid bands at the same time.

EDIT: A 2-band Audere Classic is what was going to go in your GWB35, but that week Best Bass Gear had that 2-band Bart preamp on clearance sale for a glorious $75. No regrets at all, that Bart pre kills it.

AB Nate and rutrho like this.
  20. rutrho

rutrho

Mar 29, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    I'll take a look at the audere. The SR is at the point where _anything_ will sound better.