The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. I've got a nice maple / pau ferro unlined fretless neck from Warmoth that I am using with a Warmoth G4 bass body. I have almost all the parts together, just need a couple small things that are in the mail right now... hoping to have it done next week! :hyper:

BN10433a.jpg

WillyWonka, kesslari, Root 5 and 6 others like this.
  2. Well it's more or less done aside from minor setup tweaks! Here are my two fretless Warmoth basses, the new one on the left and the fretless P bass that I assembled a few months ago on the right:
    20210310_163848.jpg

This is my first time playing an unlined fretless and so far I am really enjoying it! In a way it almost feels easier for me compared to the P which has lines. I marked where the first fret would be with a small piece of masking tape because I was struggling a little bit there, and having that marker there has helped a great deal. It gets a little dicey when I'm playing between 9 and 15 because there are no dots at 10, 11, 13, and 14, but I am confident that with a little more practice my fingers will find their way to the right positions more often than not.

Time for me to log off and get back to practicing! :D

WillyWonka, Pyrat, kesslari and 9 others like this.
  3. kevk likes this.
  4. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    Thx! Bought it without demo‘ing...had no idea just how good these sound! The pu’s/electronics package is really superb. I’d sure like to find a mint AC6, too! E77D9D16-D998-4E8F-B918-60575AD3A7D9.jpeg

5. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Just ordered the D'Addario 45-100 half-rounds (ENR71) to try on my MIM fretless Jazz. I see some mixed comments on them but thought they would be worth a try. I could use just a tiny bit more zing than I'm getting from the Fender flats that came on the bass and I don't want to jump to full rounds since I think this fingerboard is on the soft side. Other options I thought about were the Slinky cobalt flats and the Rotosound flats, but I went with the cheaper and in-stock (at Sweetwater) D'Addarios for now. I figure if I don't like them on the fretless I can try them out on my BB434, currently also equipped with Fender flats, which honestly I quite like on the BB.

coolhang likes this.
  6. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

I tried to get some Cobalt Flats for my 6 string Portamento. I couldn't find a set with a high "c" string. I ended up with a set of Thomasik Infield Jazz Bass strings. I really like them.

7. I prefer DR Sunbeams on fretless but have used GHS pressurewound also. You would probably like the GHS if the D'Addarios don't get you close enough.

skycruiser likes this.
  8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've tried those on a fretless with Macassar ebony fingerboard; they were fine, no complaints, but --
    IMO, the EB Slinky Cobalt flats were better, and the TI Jazz Flats better than that.
    Pressurewounds (GHS?) also get a lot of love, but I've never tried those.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of those, so it's a matter of which you like best.

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Go figure. EB seems to be the only string company in the world that can't figure out how to make a 0.030" C string.
    I went with TIJF's too and will be sticking with them.
    I still have the EB Cobalts on a fretted 5; donno what I'll replace them with when they finally die. It'll probably depend on what kind of music I'm playing then...

kirkdickinson likes this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    My two favorite fretless strings. I prefer the Pressurewounds over the Sunbeams, the SB's have SUCH the "classic fretless sound", almost a bit too much for my taste. The Pressurewounds bring it but with more restraint, which I like.

picnic01 likes this.
  11. I totally agree with your assessment!

kesslari likes this.
  12. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

Pressure wounds have come up a lot lately. Thought I would throw another name out that hasn't popped up yet. Not one of the more common pressure wound strings that we usually hear about are Ken Smith Compressors. I used to like them a lot. I have drifted away and either go all out roundwound, flats, or tapes, but not hitting for the middle ground.

I really liked the Ken Smith Compressors on a 5 string squire bass that I used to have. Seemed to make that bass really sing.

Compressors

Reiska likes this.
  13. The D’Addario half wounds 45-100 sound great and feel great on my fretted Lakland Skyline 44-01 (USA Barts and Audere Preamp upgrade).

Root 5 and skycruiser like this.
  14. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    So, I put a new Fender MIM fretless Jazz neck on my Squier VM Jazz bass. It's so much fun to play now. It took several hours for an amateur like me to get the nut slots filed down. These necks come with a nut that only has starter notches and the nut is tall enough for a fretted neck. Had to order tuners since the mounting holes in the Squier tuners wouldn't line up. Added a set of old light gauge GHS Pressurewounds and am having a blast with it.:)
    20210310_115702.jpg

JRA, MonetBass, kesslari and 6 others like this.
  15. I am member #144...and I have no idea which fretless bass it was that I owned back whenever it was that I joined.
    In any event, this is the one I have now...
    F714B7D9-3EA2-4D48-AFDF-3B9D8BBBA05A.jpeg
    Squier Affinity Jazz V body
    Warmoth Std. Jazz V roasted maple neck/ebony fingerboard
    Fender Marcus Miller pickups
    Pensa 2-band boost-only preamp
    Hipshot hardware.

Probably the last fretless I’ll own...

JRA, MonetBass, emjazz and 6 others like this.
  16. I seriously would have never noticed that....and if I did, I would have left it alone.

17. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Well we all have different expectations when we spend $600 on a musical instrument I guess. And I have left it alone so far since the replacement hasn't arrived yet. They don't want the defective one back so I'll just swap it out whenever.

On another topic, today I did a third round of sanding on the edges of the fingerboard, trying to get the feel just right. Honestly I think I'm not there yet.

I've also been trying out D'addario half rounds for a week or so. So far I'm undecided on how they stand up to the Fender flats that came on the bass. I think I'm starting to lean toward the pickups not quite giving me what I'm looking for. I for see a pickup swap in the future for this bass.

18. I believe Ken Smith Compressors are made by the manufacturer of Pressurewounds, GHS.

kirkdickinson and kesslari like this.
  19. Gorgeous

kesslari likes this.
  20. I found that the DiAdderio half-wounds have a more relaxed tension feel than the GHS Pressure Wounds, although my favorite set for my fretless basses are DR Sunbeams and/or Thomastic Alloys. I’m pretty sure Ibanez uses DiAdderio Chromes on their fretless basses and I’ve always thought they played and sounded nice, but all in all, a wound string set sounds best for the “mwaw” factor on a fretless, and I only use a gauge - 100’s or lower on my fretless basses.

Root 5, Jacobaeus and kesslari like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021