The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

I had Labella Gold/Whites on my Portamento SRF706 for about 3 years. I liked them but the high C string was weak. Seemed like it didn't have enough mass to really sound out a clear note and nothing above the 12th fret was really usable. I changed them out to TIJF's and I like the entire set better. Of course that is a pricey string change.

Tedthulhu likes this.
  2. kirkdickinson

Nice bass. Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting a fretless bass photo here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1190.jpg
    All Membership Cards - Index of Membership Cards

Jack Deth likes this.
  3. kirkdickinson

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Jack Deth and MonetBass like this.
  4. kirkdickinson

Yep... Very nice collection. Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting fretless bass photos here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:
    The-Fretless-Club-Card-1199.jpg

Jack Deth and trseal like this.
  5. kirkdickinson

Nice first post. Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting a fretless bass photo here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1200.jpg

Jack Deth likes this.
  6. kirkdickinson

Oh man, I like that color. Looks like a fun one to play. Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting a fretless bass photo here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1191.jpg

Jack Deth and Chrome Dome like this.
  7. kirkdickinson

Wow, that looks like quite a fine. Didn't see a lot of those back in the day. Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting a fretless bass photo here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1192.jpg

Jack Deth likes this.
  8. kirkdickinson

Can't keep the current wife happy. Glad I don't have an ex also. Would like to have one of those old Kays. Well... maybe a Carvin too. :) Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting a fretless bass photo here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1193.jpg

Cowboy0071 and Jack Deth like this.
  9. kirkdickinson

Looks nice. Do you have it yet? I am a fan of Ibanez and have two Ibanez fretless. A GWB35 and a SRF706. Love them both. They have a lot of quality for the price.

Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting a fretless bass photo here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1194.jpg

Jack Deth likes this.
  10. kirkdickinson

Nice basses. I have enjoyed watching your videos in the past and I am surprised to see you post here. As a long running tradition on this club, the only thing required to join is post a photo of your fretless bass. So you are now a member. I never before have done a custom membership card, but in this case will do so. :)

Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1195.jpg

Jack Deth likes this.
  11. kirkdickinson

Jack Deth likes this.
  12. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Thanks!

Yup, it's a very nice bass for the money. Never been disappointed with Ibanez yet :)

kirkdickinson likes this.
  13. kirkdickinson

Very nice pair. Good job. I have specked out several Warmoth parts basses and even added all the stuff to my cart, but have not ever pulled the trigger on them. Sorry I have gotten way behind adding members. Posting a fretless bass photo here is enough to become a member. Here is your card:

The-Fretless-Club-Card-1198.jpg

Jack Deth and thisheregiraffe like this.
  14. kirkdickinson

OK I should be all caught up with membership numbers/cards. If I missed someone, please post a photo of your bass and I will get you added. :)

thisheregiraffe likes this.
  15. trseal

trseal

Mar 18, 2021
    NorCal
    Thank you! I'd really been sweating my application.:hyper:

Tim

kirkdickinson likes this.
  16. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    16213578431127074020365412663488.jpg This is my 75 dollar fretless conversion Glarry jazz. Decided to try a swirl finish . Filled the fret slots with wood filler and did 5 coats of CA glue on the fretboard. Cut the headstock to a fendery look, did a amber stain with tru oil, added a heavy bridge and GM bumper pickups. Oh and fender flats too. Really love this bass.

BAG, Abner, SteveCS and 10 others like this.
  17. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    So you used silver, gold and black (enamel?) I generally am not drawn to the swirl-finish look but that looks pretty cool. What does the back look like? And was it finished with clear? Looks good with the black pg.

Ampedup likes this.
  18. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    It was magic marble metallic gold and black with a rustoleum champagne gold base coat. I topped it with spraymax 2k clear. This was my second attempt at swirling, it's harder than it looks. It's not perfect, the surface is a little bumpy, I didn't want to color sand through the clear so I left it. But it looks stunning, much richer in person. My first attempt was a silver black which looked very cool too but when I cleared it it bubbled up really bad. That one was Marabu Easy Marble, would not use that again. These youtube guys that make it look easy are using some kind solvent that extends the cure time, this stuff starts curing almost immediately. Both kinds of paint were skinning over in less than 2-3 minutes giving me very little time to swirl it around. DeanSwirled seems to have an unlimited amount of time to play with the paint, he isn't saying what his additive it though.

19. trseal

trseal

Mar 18, 2021
    NorCal
    [email protected]!! What happened to it...?

:laugh:Just kidding. That is AWESOME!!

Tim

Ampedup likes this.
  20. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Uh oh... now you've done it. Now everybody will want one. :oops:

Jeff Scott and kirkdickinson like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021