The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. These days, I am liking D'Addario tapewounds best on one of my fretless basses, but I think rounds sound fantastic on fretless too. What strings sound best can vary from bass to bass, and, of course, it also depends on the preference of the player. Use whatever strings sound and feel the best to you on your fretless :thumbsup: After a time, you'll likely see some string marks on your fingerboard from the roundwounds, but those are usually pretty superficial. To say you have doomed your bass is quite the stretch! :laugh:

MonetBass and HorusLupercal like this.
  2. Ketbass

Ketbass Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Dayton, OH
    Just ran across this club. Who knew a pic would get you a card. I love cards! My absolute favorite bass Ken Smith BSR6. Strung with TI flats. I’ve played fretless since college 40+ yrs ago. Have a ‘77 P special I converted over to a fretted bass and now my fretless 4 is a MIM Jazz, though it never sees much action. I went 6 and probably won’t look back until I’m to old to reach around the neck and will save it for such a time. 867FC1BE-2CD4-4916-A73F-2035CBBF0277.jpeg

kesslari, Root 5, armybass and 10 others like this.
  3. Just picked up a new neck (Fender Player) for my old Squier VM which currently has a severely bowed neck on it...can't WAIT to have another fretless!! Hope to post some pics when it's done~

pbass74 likes this.
  4. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    F bass AC5 vs. Fodera Monarch 5 Standard Fretless...I am torn between these two. Any Opinions/video clips? Has anybody owned both and can make a direct pros/cons comparison?

5. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    I didn't realize there was a club for this (either that or I forgot I'm a member).
    Let me find some pics....

6. 4stringfarley

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    My newest. 20210603_191509.jpg 20210603_191520.jpg 20210603_191544.jpg

Attached Files:

kesslari, kobass, Temcat and 10 others like this.
  7. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
  8. 4stringfarley

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    *4 too many strings.

AB Nate likes this.
  9. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Looks like you need a name change either way!! ;)

4stringfarley likes this.
  10. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Alright, after 10 years of being away, I just finished the final set up for this. After 10 minutes of noodling I just couldn't shake off the goofy grin. Mwaaaahhhhh...it's good to be back.

IMG_3044 (2).JPG

kesslari, Root 5, JIO and 10 others like this.
  11. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Creswell, OR
    Fretless P Basses are awesome…great looking instrument! Congrats! Here’s mine, just so you know you are not alone ;)

CC208043-D4D2-4B9B-A515-3B47F819BC15.jpeg

kesslari, Root 5, kobass and 8 others like this.
  12. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Sweet looking bass, just lovely.

woodyng2 and Bergerman like this.
  13. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I too prefer the tapewounds but put on some chrome rounds to reduce the rf noise I get with the air-con heating on in the studio. I really didn't like the sound of the chromes to start with but they are starting to settle in better. I still like the sound of the tapes better but I do like the recorded sound of the rounds.

I got a new Soundcraft Ui24 the other week and so I've been recording our jams the last couple of weeks. It records multi-track to USB which I then import to Reaper. All tracks get recorded pre-everything and post-gain so we put a mic on the kick and snare, DI the bass and guitar but don't have these tracks coming through the PA. It allows us to keep just the vocals in the PA while still recording all tracks separately and I can then mix it like I would live at a gig.
    This was from last Sunday where we had a keys player turn up for the first time. It's a little messy in places but I do like the sound of my fretless in it.

Attached Files:

AB Nate likes this.
  14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    That is right up my alley! Looks fantastic.

Datsgor likes this.
  15. Ampedup

Ampedup

Jun 24, 2020
    Roseville,CA
    You guys sound good, cool tune!

BAG likes this.
  16. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Here's my Roscoe SKB hard at work during setup for an all-day show at a local Community Days fair yesterday with The Fabulous Philadelphia Mojo Kings Dance Band. Downbeat at 4 PM, wrapped at 10 PM (there were several breaks and announcements and ceremonies throughout); 70(!) songs on the setlist from 50's R&R through ballads to pop/dance/disco hits to some modern stuff. The Roscoe Killed. All. Day. Fretless are not just boutique studio instruments - some of them get out there in the real world and work for a living. 20210710_161028.jpg

17. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Purchased this Stingray fretless a couple of months ago.

A couple of days with SS Rounds then Chromes which are settled in lovely. Very smooth Bass 20210701_215145.jpg

Yetiparty, kesslari, Root 5 and 6 others like this.
  18. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    My new Fender Pro II fretless with my Fretted project - pickups should be here this week?

bj.jpeg

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Never had this happen before... Outdoor gig, no direct sunlight but HOT -- like 95ºF hot and sticky humid. Although the graphite-reinforced neck on my Roscoe is typically a paragon of stability, I run the action pretty low to develop the level of mwah I like - not too much, not too little. Halfway into the first set I notice the D and G are FLAT ON THE FINGERBOARD!! There was still a bit of action above the 12th fret so I was able to pull off the solo in Smooth Operator and made string choice / fingering adjustments to finish out the set. During the break I made a BIG truss rod adjustment to get everybody back in the game. I'm sure I'll have to back it out today once it re-acclimates to indoor climate levels. Moral of story: ALWAYS carry a truss rod and saddle adjustment tool in your stage bag !

Mvf, Lee Moses, MBeanBass and 2 others like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021