The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Many thanks Matthew_84 :)

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've seen a few sources that preach The One True Hand Position that never seem to consider that _people_ are different.
    Look at resting arm position. For some people, the arm naturally rests with the palm against the thigh, thumb forward. For others, it's nearly 90º different - thumb against the thigh, palm facing back. With lots of people somewhere between. This affects how much you're going to be able to comfortably twist your arm into a fretting position.

I agree there may be a 'technically preferred' position that 'would be better' if one had the body mechanics for it - but arms aren't constructed all the same nor stuck on the body the same. Some variability must be accounted for in 'proper' technique. I think you're right - if your technique isn't holding you back and isn't likely to be implicated in some kind of repetitive motion injury, arbitrarily adopting a technique that's incompatible with your body mechanics is not the right approach.

3. James P, you're welcome and sorry for the delay... I did see your post initially, but let it slip.

I keep a record of all of the handed out numbers and members on my laptop at home so I can check to see if someone is already a member before handing out a new number. I likely saw your post on my phone, while at work or something, and forgot to return to it... I'll need to send myself an email or something to remind me in the future. Anyways it was good lesson for me, I just started handing out numbers as the previous member who did it stepped away from it.

4. Agreed, this was one of my hardest lessons to learn.

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK

6. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Thanks for that! Gosh!

Saved as a pdf for later.

In the meantime I'll prob just wing it as I have been for the last twenty years!

Matthew_84 likes this.
  7. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    '65 Jazz that was Jaco-ized by the same guy that did Jaco's bass, years before I acquired it back in 1994. It was a CAR fretted bass that became epoxy fretless, with stripped/oversprayed body and neck, EMG pickups, BaddAss bridge and Gotoh non-reverse machine heads, in gold. You can see that the only place the original paint wasn't stripped was under the pickguard (.... such a shame, but I didn't do it!). I still have the original pickups and wiring harness, but I saw no need to put them back in, if I wasn't going to restore the bass completely. The original machine heads went on a '66 P neck I have on a '73 body - another Frankenstein (don't have pics of that one).

This is fun to play. It even smells good.

CIMG0318.jpg CIMG0377.jpg

bassRunner, JIO, zontar and 1 other person like this.
  8. Well sir, you are definitely a welcomed member of this club:

936 Boot Soul

Also, if you are ever willing to part with that bass, please let me know. I'd love to own it.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    It looks like it smells good.

10. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Blimey!

11. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    My long-term relationship, 43 years and counting:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1399080388.227774.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1399080412.340380.jpg

1971 with an A neck, the Dimarzio J is from '79 or '80.

Also got a new(er) one:
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1399080656.570203.jpg
    Anybody recognize it?

zontar, bassRunner and Matthew_84 like this.
  12. What's with all of these old classic fretlesses??? Not complaining, but where'd you all come from? I would really love to own some 40 year old fretless with serious mojo.

Anyways, welcome to the club!

937 bass_case

Gorgeous basses!

Keep them coming!

13. pb9717

pb9717

Aug 18, 2006
    that bass has a bit of man hours into it. its got a string thru set up,solid brass bridge, vintage style tuners, and LOW action. i find i can't intonate well with a higher action.

but the stock electronics are very musical. bridge pickup solo'd is really great.

14. pb9717

pb9717

Aug 18, 2006
    that was DI into the board. chorus, and channel strip plug ins after recording was complete.

15. pb9717

pb9717

Aug 18, 2006
    appreciate the kudos on "that girl" whose actually my daughter. She's a pleasure to work with and sings as her primary income while still in college here in Jersey.

......And she has a bunch of great original material thats prog rock, and killer in my opinion. You all would be doing me a big favor if you "liked" her on facebook.

www.facebook.com/rouxbedrosianmusic

The kicker is.....the material is good enough too actually really like without doing me the favor. check it out. she's pretty strong, and very unique.

thanks again for the kudos, and I'll stop going off topic now. back to fretless talk........

16. pb9717

pb9717

Aug 18, 2006
    P1030497_zpsb6214963.jpg

heres the bass by the way.......i love pics too!

17. Nice! I like what you've done with her!

One cheap upgrade I did that made a HUGE difference was upgrade to CTS 250 pots. Really opened it up.

18. Oooh can I join the club? Got this guy back in December. Ibanez did a Limited run of these and the 5 string models. (I replaced the roundwounds with flats of course though so don't shoot me please.)
    1461303_10151749975506367_1852415647_n.jpg

19. Certainly may...

938 fretlessfuzz2112

I love your name by the way - fretless and Rush fan I presume?

Also, I love the BTB676's. I almost bought the fretted model, and then debated collecting two more BTB 6 strings to defret and put rounds on one and flats on the other (I like having the same scale fretless as I do fretted), but I decided against it, just because I didn't want to run the risk of possibly destroying two BTB's with bad DIY defretting jobs. Had this model not have been a limited run, then I would have done it, but they are super hard to find. Congratulations on getting one. I'm sure she's a dream to play.

fretlessfuzz2112 likes this.
  20. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Nice. They play great!

fretlessfuzz2112 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021