The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Number please..... IMG_9633-Edit.JPG 10171148_777557848929651_7607430120585561534_n.jpg

rolandm likes this.
  2. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    _MG_9641.jpg _MG_9747.jpg _MG_9751.jpg _MG_9791.jpg

My modified Geddy (with a gonçalo/ipê neck) tuned to CGDA in action.

Marial likes this.
  3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Warmoth neck?

4. I'm about a week away from my fretless 5 E to C 33" scale being completed. I sold my fretlessKL 4 string about a year ago to pay for this Skjold!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1404873322.789028.jpg
    Obechee body with 3d anigre top with a 3 piece ash purple heart neck and katalox fingerboard.

5. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    No, a Brazilian company called DeOliveira made it for me.

6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Very nice!

7. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    Good morning, fretless folks...

Quick question - I am considering picking up a FL 5 string ibby. I really like my 4 string ibby SR premium and would like to stay with either a premium or prestige SR. It seems you don't see many FL versions of these around. Could a luthier replace the frets with inlays very easily? Is that even a recommended option?

Thanks

8. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    I went back yesterday and played that Ibanez SR PORTAMENTO 5. Man is that thing sweet. I know you want lines but with the piezo bridge and all that, those are a deal! Maybe you could get a luthier to cut you markers in?

9. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

Yes very easy.

10. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    I agree. I have the SRF705. Try it before you spend even more money on making a fretless. All my Bass playing friends love it.

11. I've got one. It's a monster! Using the piezo most of the time, but some unexpected tone issues (bass and middle boom) when I was in a tight stage setup (PJB super flightcase) so I just switched to standard pickups and carried on. Actually managed to get the top C in on a jazz gig, although to be honest I started the phrase on it and used a downward pattern to follow.
    Absolutely love the string compliance on this one, even better than my GWB35.

12. Any chance of a number, please?

Attached Files:

13. kirkdickinson

What is string compliance?

14. Compliance as I understand it is the flexibility of the strings. They have to be at a particular tension to produce a specific note at a specific scale length, taking into account the thickness of the string. Good compliance means they will pluck and bend - including onto the fingerboard, when you play a note - more easily.
    I'm sure others will have a better definition!
    My SRF705 is particularly pleasant to play.

15. kirkdickinson

I would think that flexibility of strings is soley related to string design and gauge.

What is the term for consistent feel, tone, and volume from string to string?

My GWB 35 is very consistent. Same notes on different stings don't sound drastically different like some other basses that I have.

16. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Just got my 1970 Fretless P-Bass back from HG Thor Labs. Epoxied fingerboard, new hand carved bone nut, and set up.
    HG's work is in a class by himself. This great bass is now amazing. Sound is still a P-bass but tighter, more focus, nice big growl.
    Can't stop playing it.

17. cvsurg

cvsurg Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    FL

Pictures, please!! And a sound clip would be nice....

18. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Yeah, no picture = we don't believe you! Lol.

19. I agree string design and gauge is the major factor, but I think there are other factors as well - headstock angle, the way strings anchor, bridge design for example. I've used the same make/gauge on SR 505F and GWB35 and they felt different to me, but comparing them between SR 505F and 705 they felt pretty much the same (even though one's fretless and the other fretted). YMMV, of course.
    I'd certainly agree that the GWB is consistent across the strings, even when I've used different makes and types of string sets on it.
    I suppose it's subjective - all I can say is that to me the GWB is a very nice bass, and I enjoy playing it, but at the moment I find the way the strings go down and the overall response on the SRF nicer, and that's the one I seem to be picking up the whenever I leave the house. When I next restring the GWB I'll try the same strings as the SRF and see how that feels.

20. My fretless assembled! Hanging with Pete and Ruben ImageUploadedByTalkBass1405191962.457068.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021