The Fretless Club (Part IV)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engine207, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    There's a fretless 5 like both of those in your picture at one of my GC's. It's been hanging up high and I haven't had the chance to grab and play it but I will this week if I get the chance! Very nice looking for sure.

2. Pete Skjold's work is exceptional ! The feel and playability of the neck is outstanding! I'm very happy with how this bass turned out. The voice is very clear, deep, and balanced all across the strings. It's a very lively bass.

3. New members:

944 wallawallabob
    945 Buchada Azeda
    946 Idle Plucker

:bassist:

4. Number please
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1405198280.328222.jpg

mark beem likes this.
  5. 947 Mark Sacchetti

6. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    I will definitely have to get back there and play it! Your singlecut is great looking.

Mark Sacchetti likes this.
  7. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Greetings All ~

I'm a little late to the mwah party... grew up playing upright bass, learned to double on bass guitar, discovered a whole new octave in five-strings, then came the great fretless adventure. Now it's become my favorite... I play fretless 5's for more than half my time these days.

For now, I'm gigging a Godin A-5 (unlined), and a Renaissance RB-5 Custom (lined), but next time the planets are properly alligned, I hope to add an Alembic fretless five-string to the fold. :)

Attached Files:

8. A couple of more pictures of my Skjold 5 I recently received.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1406489536.417828.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1406489585.050715.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1406489595.734593.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1406489614.317837.jpg

Still getting to know this bass. It's effortless to play. Extremely comfortable and the voice is clear, deep, and versatile. It's presently strung with TT flats, E to high C.

pauliebass and mark beem like this.
  9. 948 EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  10. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Amazing coincidence... I'm also #948 on the Mediocre Bassist's Thread. :D

11. west al

west al Ready, PLAY! Supporting Member

Am. Std. Fretless Jazz, if you have any extra numbers, I'd like one. lgLavdf.gif

BmYRAp0.png jp8yKcE.jpg

12. Just dropping in to say I have a Clement build in the works. It's my second fretless, and first Clement. Here are some build-in-progress pics. You guys wanna see those, right? :D

First off, here's the block from which the top will come. In case you're wondering, it's myrtle.
    top_zpsa0ece0d7.jpg

Tom put a "Kim" shaped template (this is the name of this shape in his product line) on top of the myrtle block so you can get a basic idea of what the top will look like when it's cut out.
    topunfinished_zps349a1324.jpg

The fingerboard I picked is this exact piece, and it's a wood called Ipe. This wood is harder than ebony. I chose it for the hardness as I'm planning on playing rounds over the bare wood and my mind will rest easy knowing I am covered by this level of hardness. Here he's laid the fingerboard on the block, but just for the color - the match of the figure is not in the right position - just ignore that.
    fingerboard_zps24565467.jpg

The bass will have a single-piece swamp body and a black veneer between that and the top. Here's the sandwich being glued up.
    topveneerandswampglued_zps360a138a.jpg

34" scale, 4 string, single piece maple bolt neck, black hardware. The bass will be passive with a single volume and single tone control. Pickup? The new Carvin split pu in the sweet spot traditional position. Strings will be stock Carvin/LaBella rounds, which I love. The fingerboard radius will be 16. :thumbsup:

Ok, folks, whatchu think? (braced for impact)

bassRunner likes this.
  13. Great looking top! I would suggest the Aguilar P pup instead of the Carvin.

14. Please tell me what you like about the Aguilar. :)

15. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Took this a few days ago. I've owned over 50 fretless bass, and usually keep it down to 6 or 8 at a time.
    Most of these are builds, as I seem to enjoy that lately. All basses 2014 003.JPG

Doctor_Clock likes this.
  16. Here's a online video review that might be helpful.

17. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    That is a thoroughly stunning piece of wood! Very nice.

18. VERY NICE. Thanks. We'll see what the Carvin sounds like and this will be in the back of my mind. :thumbsup:

19. RebopBass

RebopBass

Jan 26, 2013
    Belgium
    Hi everyone, I have a gwb35 that has been my main bass for a few months (although I've had it for 3/4 years). I'm starting the conservatory next year so I'd like to upgrade a little. So anyone know of a brand that can make me a modern style fretless fiver with 16.5 spacing, a fast slim neck (ibanez style), two pickups next two each other in the same area as the gwb35, a ramp and then a good choice of woods ? I don't mind buying used, I'm just looking for brands I don't know who make nice fretlesses.

20. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

You didn't say what your budget was.

I also have a GWB 35. I've been looking at the Ibanez Portamento 5er.

mtb777 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021