Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Fretted Jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 30, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've been chilling to some of Jaco's stuff and its amazing. I d/l'd some gary willis stuff last night and will now be buying his albums after some one said how he was like the new jaco, whether this is true or not is of no concern to me both men are amazing.

But both mainly play fretless so I was wondering if there was any one who made the same haunting and emotional music as these two but on a fretted bass, I know Steve Lawson occasionally uses his 4 string fretted modulus but its not his main axe.

Thanks in advance

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    First one that comes to mind is Jeff Berlin. After hearing him on Bill Bruford's "One of a Kind" I was amazed when I found out he played fretted and not fretless.

Also, Jaco himself played fretted bass quite often live. Pretty much indistinguishable from his fretless tone. I don't believe he ever used anything other than the "Bass of Doom" (his fretless) on a recording though.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I second Berlin-
    Especially on Kazumi Watanbe's Spice Of Life & Spice Of Life, Too.

Also, Victor Bailey(the guy that replaced Jaco in Weather Report). In addition to Bailey's WR albums...check out his solo discs.

Jeff Andrews is another that gets that single-coil Jazz "Jaco tone".

I would definitely go for Willis' Bent album.

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Even on his first album? I could swear that "Come On, Come Over" was a fretted bass.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - i'm sure that this was fretted. I think Jaco said that he didn't practice on his fretless, as this wore out the board, but he certainly used fretted bass - I also heard that he used fretted bass on "Birdland" when he played it live - e.g. on "08.30".

If you buy the instructional video, Jaco plays fretted bass throughout and still gets his distinctive "sound".

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Unfortunatley, this was because the "Bass of Doom" had already been stolen, and Jaco was basically living in Washington Square Park when the video was done. He borrowed that bass. I can't watch it...especially the part when he says to Jerry Jemmott after being complimented..."gimme a gig".
    :(

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I do agree with you - but I think the point stands that Jaco could use a fretted Jazz bass and get the same sound on a lot of his classic numbers. I can remember interviews where he mentioned which ones he played with fretted, but haven't got the text in a format to copy here.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    How about Berlin's solo on "Water on the Brain ?" From some old Allen Holdsworth album. I remember transcribing that solo; it took me about 3 months ! God, at some point in my life i hd enough spare time to devote 3 months worth to writing down someone else's solo !

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's from Road Games...a Holdsworth EP.
    I have it on vinyl; recently, it was released on cd(check Audiophile Imports).

You are the better man for transcribing that solo to "Water On The Brain, Part 2"...I do believe I still have a couple of old Guitar Player mags with the entire solo transcribed by Jeff Berlin(he used to write a column for that magazine).
    ;)

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

Not too many players would be able to pull off what Jaco did in that video considering his condition! He had the shakes, and was given a Jazz bass with a P-bass neck.....they totally took advantage of Jaco's state and need for money at that time.....he still managed to pull off some amazing playing in the jam session. As anybody who ever got sober will tell you......trying to play in the first couple days of sobrity is close to impossible:(

11. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Just shows that's it's all in the hands... even on an instrument like the electric bass!

/lovebown

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    For the record, I'm pretty darned sure that a fretted was used on "Portrait Of Tracy" on the debut album.

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I believe that he was in a upswing comeback mode when that was shot if you notice he say's Id never practice for a gig but I practiced all week to make shure I could do.....

Im pretty sure that was his fretted bass and he put the p neck on it to "strech his hands out".

You guys have the time right I just think he was doing slightly better than somebody pulls jaco out of a box in the b ball courts in washington park puts a camera in front of him and gets that tape.

AJ

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think it was said that they took Jaco to hotel for few days before the shoot and kept him off the drugs - that would certainly explain why he was in good condition.

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If memory serves, so was "Chromatic Fantasy" off the second record.

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    This is going off on a tangent a bit here (sorry), but it's really wrong to speculate about the circumstances surrounding the making of Jaco's instructional video. I doubt very much Jaco was " totally taken advantage of", but rather he was both happy and lucky to get the gig. The fact of the matter is, none of us knows. I do, however, know someone who was there, and I'll ask him if he wouldn't mind talking about it.

It's especially sad for me to watch that video as I met Jaco in 1979, when he was at the height of his career and before he started his all-too-well documented slide into depression and misfortune. I prefer to remember him as he was that day; a kind, gracious, even shy, cat who was truly humbled by his own abilities and deeply touched by the reverence we felt for him. That day is also warmly remembered by his widow, Ingrid. When I had the opportunity to share my "Jaco story" with her, she was glad that I had been lucky enough to meet Jaco as he truly was. So am I. :cool:

17. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    On some of the Joni Mitchell Shadows and Light video and album he plays a fretted.

18. They locked themselves in a hotel room with Jaco for 3 days to sober him up. That was when he was really starting to go downhill.

(I finished the biography 'JACO: the extraordinary and tragic life of Jaco Pastorius "the world's greatest bass player"' today, amazing book, I recommend reading it, nearly had me in tears at the end.)

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Although overall an excellent read and fairly accurate, you shouldn't treat everything in Milkowski's book as the gospel.

Ingrid Patorius keeps a cool website, and if you follow this link

http://www.jacop.net/book.html

you'll see what I mean. Ingrid is a very special person, which is apparent in how, even though she was upset about some of the things in Milkowski's book, she still very magnanimously thanks him for doing the book.

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup.