The Fretted Member of My New MTD Duo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Nov 17, 2003.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    This 535 was built in 2002. I recently bought it from a TBer. Had to replace a bad pan pot but Mr. Tobias was extremely generous and responsive and sent me a new one right away...and free of charge. Great customer service to the third owner of this bass.

Anyway, I haven't gigged it yet but it sounds good, as might be expected, with a tremendous top-end. Plays like butter, etc., etc. The last pic is the pair.

I'll post detailed impressions of both basses after I have a chance to put them through gig paces.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can't wait to check those out Boogie ;)
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    For sure, bro!
  4. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    MTD basses are neato!

I sure could go for a fretless six string :D

5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You must be reading my mind, Matthew! I've definitely had thoughts about an MTD sixer lately. ;)
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    boogiebass, Very nice! The MTDs are my favorite basses. Gota love em!
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good basses, no doubt. :cool:
  8. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Awesome basses BB!

So what kind of stand is that? I love the levers going over the stings near the nut.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think it's called a Hercules? Don't have it at hand right now but I'll verify later. A really nice stand, especially for instruments that have an irregular shape on the bottom.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Got high hopes for this duo! :D
  11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    You do nothing for GAS:meh:

Great looking bass
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah those are the Hercules stands. I've got a couple and I love 'em...
  13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Nice MTDs. I love them. The MTD was a very close second to Roscoe when I bought my bass in April. I kept going back and forth.
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks. I actually traded a Roscoe fretted SKB3006 with LED's for this fretless. While I always appreciated the Roscoe's low-end, I could never get a slap sound that suited me. I owned 3 Roscoes at one time and have since sold and/or traded them all. The MTD, OTOH, seems to have a slap sound that is exceptional while still retaining an overall good tonal balance. To my ears, for my playing, etc. etc.
  15. beutiful basses man.

are the necks on the custom MTD's the same as on the Kingstons. i've got a Kingston 5 fretless, and i'm head over heels in love with the neck. if the necks on the high end ones are the same, then i think i'll have found my next bass! :D

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    man, i bet those would sound GREAT through a Bergantino HT-212!!

17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No doubt! I'm holding out for the super duper basement discount friend 'o Pete discount! :D
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Never checked out a Kingston so I can't say. This one is VERY easy-playing, however. Almost an understatement, in fact.
  19. I was getting chaffed riding the fence between MTD and Roscoe after i ruled out a FBass, but i'm a finger player mostly and i slap just about as often and Haley's comet comes around so i stuck with the Roscoe(IMO it had a superior fingerstyle tone for me) and I'm loving every second of it :bassist: So i guess bigfoot and i are the two sides of the coin:D
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Roscoe definitely has that fingerstyle tone happening! Great basses, just not my personal sound...right now.