1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the frontman disease

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by EBodious, Jun 8, 2011.

1. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i am gonna tell this story here in hopes that it helps me think it was funny.

i play a bar down in des moines a few times a year in two different bands. it has been a few years so we have gotten to know the bartender real well and some of the wait staff also. we played there last sunday (they do bands on sunday and wednesday, crazy but it works for them) and some of us got there early enough to eat first (good food, killer beer selection).

ok, our front guy, who suffers from serious LSD, asks the waitress if he can split his side order half fries, half onion rings. it seems simple enough, but she tells him sorry, they can't do that. he pauses for a moment and then says, "but i'm in the band!"

she tells him it just isn't possible (for whatever reason). me, i am sitting there feeling embarrassed. so i turn to the waitress (whom i have also gotten to know) and ask her to forgive us, we are used to getting treated like rock stars. that got everyone laughing.

so i felt good about that. but, why does he say things like that?! first off, she knew we were in the band, we all know each other. second, while i appreciate his wanting half 'n' half if they don't do it, they don't do it. i guess i am uptight about not wanting to come across as a stereotypical local band with rock star egos. we have a good relationship with the venue but even if it was a one off gig, i still don't want to spread that kind of attitude. he is just so good at saying the wrong thing.

ok, i feel better now. wow, i started two threads in one day, that's gotta be a first for me.

thanks for listening.

2. You played it off well, and possibly saved the gig. LSD is insidious, and is a destroyer of opportunities, and bands alike.

3. Maybe it is DesMoines? I've only ever played there once. It was part of the Band Masters convention or get together or something like that. I was the bass player (contra bass clarinet - highly recommended to all bass players to at least blow a low C one time before you die to feel what BASS really feels like when it comes from inside you!!) in a chamber group consisting of mostly professional players, teachers and a recent grad with a performance degree. After the gig, one of the vans (my van) stopped to get a bite to eat at a Perkins or some similar type place east of town.

For a civilised, educated group of professionals, it was one of the rowdier meals I had eaten - worse than Junior high!. There was a table of HS girls that kept looking over at us and shaking their heads. At one point we asked for olives and the waitress asked - "and what do you want the olives for?" - we were all stone cold sober too.

I like to think it was from playing in DesMoines.

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Nothing really to do with LSD, but some people are just like that.
    It's hard to imagine the logic involved (if any), it just seems to be the way some people think they should behave in public.

You handled it well, I'm sure the staff know well enough that it's just a personality type trying to attract attention.
    It's still hard to be around and have a good time.

5. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Good tip...always treat the wait staff with respect...and TIP WELL!!! even if you are being comped! They have more "pull" in the venue, (on if you will be back again) than you might think!

6. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    thanks guys. its good to know i am not alone. life of a bass player and all that...

7. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Our lead singer has an amazing voice, is our guitar player, and is also the best musician in the band...and he has absolutely no ego. In fact, he once got upset when the venue billed us under his name alone...he told the person in charge that we were a "band" and that band had a name.

8. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    well aren't you lucky :smug:

9. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    You definitely posted in the correct forum. I found it very funny. :D

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    ++

I always talk to the wait staff. I don't drink so if someone buys the band a round I tell them to charge for a mixed drink and bring me juice or something. Buyer is happy, we are happy and waitress just made a couple extra bucks. The house wins again. Strippers do it so why not? Not that I'd be much of a stripper...never learned to dance so it would be pretty awkward until I figured out the steps.

11. Because a lot of the time, it works! "I'm in the band" means "I'm a staff member tonight".

I like the way you handled it. I would have probably ordered a side of what the singer didn't order and split them with him. Just as easy, less tension, and noone gets put "back in their box".

12. rad bassman

rad bassman

Jun 12, 2011
    south wales
    definitely sounds like singer syndrome to me, dont you realize they are more important than everyone else! even lead guitarists! :D