Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Funk: Is there a better guage string for The Funk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Russell, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Dear TalkBass Friends,
    Is there a better guage string for Funk bass? I use 50-105's DR High Rider. Is thicker better than thinner guage strings? What strings do you think are best for The Funk? Thank you in advance... :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hard to give an outright better gauge, to each his own. I used to funk something fierce with 35-95s, now i use 45-105s. I also think it depends on the bass and brand string.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best gauge of strings for funk is whatever you like. I think people get too hung up on stuff like that when the important thing is just to play well.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    +1

.....mmmmm, I just wonder why artists like, Marcus Miller, Anthony Jackson, Vic Wooten, Will Lee, Randy Jackson, Bootsy, Les Claypool, just to name a few (they all have experience, technique and they play VERY well), have all different strings with different/custom gauge/manufacture.....maybe it's only "commercial"!

Mo'

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Part of why they have custom string sets is because they can. And of course it's a selling point for people who worship the styles of the guys with the custom sets. But everyone's custom sets are a little different, so it's all a matter of taste. That was the point I'm trying to make...it doesn't matter what kind of strings you like...just whatever you get, play as good as you can.

6. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    +1

Mo'

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What's your definition of Funk? Muscular 60's-70's fingerstyle a la James Jamerson, Rocco Prestia, and Jerry Jemmott? Or modern zingy slap-pop a la Marcus and many others?

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1!!!

For the old vibe, some flats or slightly dead, light, and flexible rounds are the call (well broken in DR high beams are great for finger funk). For slap bass which may or may not be at all funky :scowl: I prefer heavy guage stiff strings with a lot of snap (such as Sadowsky stainless standard guage), and near-zero relief in the neck.

9. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    For slap, I found that the set of lights I put on really gave more ease to slapping. I also found that in general I didn't like the light gauges (Well, at least EB's definition of "light".)

10. Thanks for your responces. I like what you said. The guage of string does not matter for The Funk. The question is: do I have The Funk within me? Thank you TalkBass friends.