The funny is gone. (POLY blows.)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Nov 14, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whats up with TB as of late? It's the same, but not funny at all. I used to come on here after work to have a good laugh(a real laugh, not a stupid one) but the funny is gone.

Where is StupidMatt? Dave's gone, thats like, 80 percent of TB funny right there. And no offence to any of the "OT kids" as they are so labeled. Your just not funny. Sorry. I want WIT! I want a STRIKINGLY FUNNY joke! But alas, I see all the grown up childish humor is gone, and all we have left is the form of the latter.

At least we have the classics. There are the classic "I luv dave" threads,, but they got kinda annoying. My infamous "Hair" and "Polly 4 Mod" threads. The countless newbie threads Dave posted "I PLY IBENZ CUZ DAT WAT I PLAY LOL".

But alas, TB Funny, R.I.P.

I'm gonna miss you, funny.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thor! Thor is funny!

Our numbers are growing!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you should be going to :

etc. etc.

rather than

TalkBass!! :meh:
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Come on now Brucy.....

You know as well as I do TalkBass is a Bassist Forum, not just a bass playing forum. How fun would it be to play in a band and never say/joke around with/hang out with your band members? If you ever saw a bassist you liked, when he came up to say hi to you, would you talk about a bass most of the time? Or would you shoot the breeze? And with people like you who DO have alot of experiance on bass, I doubt your mind is just throbbing with questions like "Whats a truss rod" and "How do you slap?"...

Just a thought, as stupid as it may be.

Oh! I said I wanted wit! Your under that catagory! We had more people than I thought.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there, took care of that mistake in the title for you poly. :) (i hope i spelled that right) :D
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - of course - but that includes the right to "not be funny"! If I don't feel like making jokes or laughing then I feel no responsibility to amuse... :meh:

I like talking to musicians about music - but I might talk to them about other shared interests - like if I know they are interested in football.

But I would never expect a fellow musician or bassist, to entertain with me with humour...and I would resent it most strongly if they expected me to be some kind of comedian!!
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    "Grown up childish humour" can be funny for the initiated, but can also be VERY confusing to any newcomer to the forums. Or people you just don't know too well. When TB Funny was at its peak, it did confuse people, and some even took offense! For that reason I'm glad to see a healthy reduction in the various stupidities and inane postings so often seen before, most of which were little more than waste of space in the first place (i.e. not very funny at all)!

You can't be confused or offended by stupid humour, unless you are very stupid yourself.

But by all means, if you want more Witty Funny, you're free to contribute. But don't demand it from others!!

Oh dear... I'm sounding more and more like Bruce.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's right, we're toast. TalkBass is now only a forum for serious discussions about bass playing related subjects.

From now on: NO LAUGHING ALLOWED!!!
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You want funny? Go start a dumb thread in DB OT and see how fast you can get Schlitz Beerbarrel to jump all over your case.

That would be funny, imo.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Michael jewels is one of the funniest people on the planet. :eek:

11. You're my hero :D :D
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I get a real kick out of him. Michael.

When I get too serious, I start to get depressed. Then I start playing depressing music like Pathetique or Tsal's 4th symphony that makes me want to jump into the Volga during the winter.
    Or I start to get supercilious. I develop a funny foreign accent. At which point I bore myself. I cry. I am so lonely. Then sleep ensues.

Before you know it, I need a drink. Then goes the wife, the family, the job, the car. All my friends, even NJL, avoid me. It's a vicious spiral. I end up on a park bench, with my basses.

To top it off, a donkey ambles by in a cart driven
    by HateYourEar and ZuluPunk, and voids on my inert body. I am too depressed to move.

I begin to hallucinate. I see images pass by, Chewbacca playing a Conklin GT7, P.O.Tracy floating in air, a psychedelic epiphany, MAJOR METAL playing James Taylor on an acoustic, the RED PUKESPRAY thrash metal combo, Jamerson and Carol Kaye making love. PollyBass naked wearing a sandwich board with one word painted on it: Mod.

I breathe deeply. I begin to laugh. The glazed computer monitor look comes off my eyes. I begin to convulse. I cannot stop. I realize it was a daydream.

Thank god!
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it's alright old chap, i'm still here......oh.....gotta go!

:D ;) :p
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

15. There's also the flipside that people who are funny draw stuff from things happening.

My Quotes of the week have become more like Bi-monthly quotes.

*shrugs* Im still a whack aussie on the inside. *slaps chest* ouch hmm

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm still here, I just turned invisible (avatar gone). But I'm not funny anymore. I mostly post threads about my love of theory and complicated math problems.

In all actuality, I'm just not on here as much, you gotta look at it like this Poly, summer is over. All of us "off topic kids" (including you) have to deal with the real world too. And plus... this equasion...

Can be broke up into a simple pie graph.

This statistics are just from this summer. And it's clear that the major component is missing. That and King Vitamin cereal has gone all corperate and that bums me out.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Oh... So I'm NOT funny... I'm glad that has been clarified...

I have never had sex, or come in close sexual contact with anyone. Is a pimple on my crotch normal?
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Great graph!

you boob joke :p
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Spank has also more or less left...he pops up a while for a moment of great hilarity, but then disappears into a murky bog to not be seen on the scene for at least another month.
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd also like to refer you to my other chart for further explaination....