Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The future of bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by codeine, Jun 17, 2002.

1. It seems like there are a lot of threads 'who is the greatest bassists alive/eva', 'who pushed the boundaries the most' and 'who is better joe vs bob'.
    In reading all these threads i cannot see any new/young bassists having an influence on the way bass is played. Is this just my lack of exposure to new music or is there no young bassists out there doing anything? If there are any young bands/bassists out there could someone pls tell me who.

2. So is the lack of replies because no one knows of any newish band with amazing bassists?

3. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    check out your local music scene. new bassists (even good ones) are everyone.

-peace

4. mine, or atleast i hope it will be.

we've got a pretty good line up. my guitarist is the best i've ever heard my age (15). the drummer is a 15 year old girl with a double bass set up and the singers is voice pretty incredible with a range from bass to soprano.

5. hmmmm well in brisbane the music scene is very dance, contemporary and punk orientated. There is some really good jazz but i never run out of jazz bassists to listen to. So i was looking more for something in the vein of primus or chilli peppers, not for that style but just for some good rock music where the bass is out the front.

Something new that is.

6. if something i said made you think that we were jazz i apologize. we don't really have a definable sound yet because we've only been in a for about a month but the chemistry is definitely there.

7. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Im not sure who is going to be the next to change the scene but I do know this....

In the future...Basses will have thousands of "strings". These "strings", however will be actually super sensetive lasers. Each will have perfect pitch. There will be no need for using are left ( or right ) hands to fret, we will have robots do that for us.

8. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    that is true about local bands i live in the orlando area and there are spectacular bassists that i go and see

9. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    the bassist from pod also happens to be extremely good even though in a lot of there songs he doesnt show it much he busts out on live shows and they do have some songs where he goes les claypool great stuff.

10. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    also the best bassist in more trendy music u will find in punk b/c there usually more aggressive (not talking about blink 182)

11. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    also one of my favorite bassists is the bassist from 311 hes really good u should listen to them they have a good sound

12. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    i wish i could compact that in one reply instead of ten

13. check out Rufio's Still and Road to Recovery

14. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i think that we dont recognize "influential bassists" at the moment because we're, well...in that moment. all the bassists that we recognize as influential now, are usually from the 70s, or around that area. john entwhistle, jaco, stanlely clarke, to name a few...theres many more. give it 20 years or so, then look back, and see who has influenced style. things like that take awhile.

15. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    not true we are in a moment of really crappy music where i new opposite trend will wipe the crap bands out of the face of history and new influential bassists will come(we still have some influential bassists today such as flea the bassist from 311 and mark hoppus)

16. chimppimp

chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    Oviedo,FL
    not kidding about mark hoppus

17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Also i enjot stefan lessard from dave mathews band. He is a wicked player! I also enjoy Mike Gorden fom phish. There are several really great bass players out now!~ You just have to look and stay away from main stream rock! I will also agree the guy from 311 is good and the guy from incubus is good as well! Wide spread panic is also another!

18. i agree with you that the players you mention in there are good but none of them are new. most of them surfaced atleast 5 years ago and haven't really done anything new between that time and now.

19. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Norwood Fisher

He has been around for a long time, but never recieved any mainstream success. Check him and Fishbone out, They are incredible.