1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Future of Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nighthawk551, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    Being a student in a music business program (and a string nerd), I've been collecting ideas to submit to some of the major manufacturers as proposals for product development. Is there anything you'd like to see out there that has yet to be developed? Here are a few of the ideas I've come up with:

• Pre-deadened roundwounds - for those who prefer that sound out of the box, but worry about the structural integrity and tuning/intonation accuracy of truly dead strings.
    • Strings that give a roundwound tone without the wear on fretless fingerboards (there has to be a better solution than half-rounds).
    • Options for different colored silks.

Let me know what's on your mind!

2. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Options 1 and 2 are pretty well covered by tapewound strings IMO.

3. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    My design concepts do away with the strings completely. So I have to say that strings may become a thing of the past.:bassist:

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    You second idea can be easily corrected with a ebony fingerboard or a composite fingerboard ( like Pedulla )

5. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    Good point. However, some tapewounds may not give the right kind of feel or tone a player is looking for.

Ebony does hold up against roundwounds pretty well, but not all fretlesses have those boards.

6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    +1

I think strings" days are numbered. I have been working on this idea that uses a conductive "ribbon" which, when pressed to the fret changes the resistance/current flow in the "string" thereby defining the particular note.

And just touching the ribbon will play the note.

so, "tapping" will become purely instinctive to anyone who is familiar with a fretted instrument. Just think of the possibilities.

Also, set-ups no longer necessary, as there is no real tension on the ribbons. No more bowed necks, no more fussing with pesky truss rods, bridge saddles, poorly cut nuts, etc....

My God, the future looks bright.

7. No offense, but I hope I die before this happens. :atoz:

8. You and me both.

9. The idea of pre-deadened rounds isn't crazy, although I can deaden them myself pretty quickly. It's sort of like prewashed jeans. Not a bad idea, but how much of a premium will you pay? Not much in my case.

I think marketing around string tension might get you further. String tension among different kinds of strings isn't all that well understood IMO, and it makes a big difference.

10. Same here, I imagine a frisbee with a pickup and an imaginary neck. :(

11. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    I wonder how that would sit in a metal mix?

iJazz - :bag:

12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Midi bass pickup... Then what ever is on your bass doesn't really matter...

Then you get other issues to deal with than a string that doesn't sound great, you get random or no sound at all...

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know why nobody's taken me up on my Flounds idea...rounds that sound like flats. Dead rounds aren't the same. Anyway, sorry but I don't see a market for any of that stuff you suggested. But brands new flats often sound a lot like brand new rounds, so that part's covered IMHO.

14. There ya' go. Virtual strings. They don't really exist, you're just made to believe they do. Market them under the trade name, "The Emperor's New Strings". :p

$100 a set for stainless. $500 for platinum wrap. Lifetime wear guarantee on the platinum and neither set will damage a fretless.

15. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I've had a set of 9120's on my fretless for so long that I forgot what model they were. Had to break out the caliper and measure them. The gauges are .110 .092 .072 .058. When I put them on, I was surprised by their brightness. Nowadays, I rarely play the fretless. May put them on a different bass.

16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    2 years ago I was working at Future Shop/Best Buy and during the holyday season they had a plastic guitar which had bouton ... like 6 bouton at the each "fret" instead of string, their was a sensor where the pickup would be.

So you fret plastic boutons and you strum like a iar guitar. It was fun but it couldn't remplace a real guitar.

17. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Just do what Circle K strings do but for flats

18. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    The only thing I'd like to see in addition to what's available now is more options for tension. We know that manufactures can make low tension rounds and flats. I'd like to see more manufacturers embrace the tension scale.

19. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    +1000

That sounds like it would be like trying to shoot pool with a limp piece of rope for your cue stick....

:bag: