1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Future

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 21, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    During History class the one thing that I've learned more than anything else is that nothing is infinite, and everything is constantly changing. Every generation thinks that its way is the way, and every time this is not true. So what do you think will change over the course of the next...oh, let's say 30 years. When the teens are parents and the parents are grandparents, and the non-existent specs are teens, what will we be leaving in? What social, economical and environmental changes do you expect?

Basically, what will the world be like in X amount of years?

2. I'm not sure. I'm still waiting on the flying cars I was promised by 2000.

Mike

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    mm... good question. one ive been pondering for a while.
    I wonder if the changes in american culture in the past are any indiciation for how america will change in the future. can our values get any lower? im more curious whats going to be funny in the future... like how comedy today seems pretty absurd to previous generations.. how much worse can it get?

Personally, I think our generation is going to turn things around a little bit. We have to... theres no other choice. I can't see how things can get any more depraved than they already are. Though, seeing as how my luck tends to hold out.... things are certain to get worse. Im totally moving to Russia or something. They still have values. so does most of europe, too... and so does china... yeah.. things are looking good for moving to another country. besides those issues, america itself is really dying quickly. we have the lowest savings rate (the only negative one) since the 30's. were depleting our oil and not caring the least bit about how screwed our economy is. Maybe Ill move to China.. their economy is eating ours alive... yeah... sounds like a good idea to me.

4. Changes aren't permanent but,change is.-Niel
    I've seen the future brother and, it is MURDER.-Leonard

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    That seems like a constant to me. And I think its true that youth as a great deal of confidence.

Another constant is that people think the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Mostly that comes from looking to the past and selectively remembering the good parts. I watched "All The Presidents Men" last night with my sons. I lived through the Watergate era and while there might be some parallel comparisions made to today, we are better off.

Were we, as a country better off before Civil Rights? Where we better before women were allowed to make the most of their lives? Was the world a better place with dictators who really were trying to take over the world? Would we be willing to give up Social Security and worry about having to take aging and sick parents into our home because they had no income when they were too old to work? Do you think we are might be better off and safer if there was no FDA to make sure there wasn't animal waste in our food? (did you read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"?). Would it really be a good idea to do away with the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and let business run everything? (If you think any of the Haliburton or Enron things are too much, check out what was going on in this country 1870-1910 in terms of monopolys).

There will always be problems, thats a constant. What those problems are will change.... thats a constant to. Any yes, there are a lot of really terrible things going on today that need to be corrected. Lets work for that. The human race is a work in progress. We need to not be so selfish or egotistic to think that the world should be a perfect gift for us. It is a gift, but not perfect. All we need to do is make it a little better for the next group in.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    [​IMG]

7. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    In 30 years, humans will routinely be transformed into cyborgs.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That was my first thought when I saw the thread title.

bc

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    --the one with Mr.T was moment I'll remember for a least a year or two more.

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

grens egss anf ham

11. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    We will have to hit another low like a major depression before things really change...my opinion

12. Just how wasted are you?

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Humans are funny creatures, We have this really specie-centric view of the universe. Such tremendous arrogance from such ephemeral lives. Anyway, each generation feels that the world is falling apart because in the transfer of culture we pass along the assumptions and prespectives we have created to define our place in the order of things to people who do not, in any way, share those assumptions and perspectives. As we get older we get less able to deal with the organic evolution that changes the environment. We get more conservative while the pace of change continues to accelerate. Grumpy old people cling to the world that they could deal with, not the world they can't.
    Many of the problems that face us today will be confronting generations to come. Primarily, how do I earn a living? That basic economic question dogs all human beings and distracts us all. Politically, it will stay the same, how to economize resources. As the human population continues to increase, the most valuable resource globally will be clean water. It is the central determinate of all viable human settlement. Clean air will be a close second. Throw in a few natural calamities, some viral culling of the population, and life will go on until we fail to survive the next extinction cycle.
    In a lighter tone, the world of tomorrow will look exactly like the Disney image created by such companies as Monsanto and Dow Chemical back in the 1960s. Elites will live in gleaming cities above-ground, genetically isolated from the teeming chuds that inhabit the warren of underground lairs. We will not need jobs. We will create poetry and music to reflect the evolution of the human spirit. We WILL wear v-shaped tunics and handsome boots. We will have individual jet-packs that whisk us to other utopian enclaves at a moments notice. We will fly among the stars and reach out to other beings in a bid for galactic harmony. It will be the Age of Man, an age of reason and intellect.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    vampyre?!

bc

15. Here’s what I reckon will probably happen in the nearish future (some of which is happening now):

Cars will mostly drive themselves, but accidents will still happen plenty often.

Suicide will become more common.

Environmental illnesses will more often be the result of human interaction with technology rather than nature.

Gas prices will rise.

More engineering effort will be applied to figuring out how to remove heat from places rather than heat them.

In urban areas, the designation of the ground floor will more often be arbitrary.

The status of the poorest won’t change much. The status of the poor in general will improve. The status of the rich will improve by a much larger margin. The middle class in Western nations will persist despite economic forces because the “system” relies upon their compliance. None of these groups will be happier.

Immigration to the United States may level off, but will stay highish. The US will not grant the bulk of immigrants from Latin America the full rights of citizenship until the population of immigrants from south of the border becomes high enough to force the issue. There sill be ethnic tension and perhaps conflict leading up to this.

Terrorism will still be alive and kicking, particularly in the Middle East, as well as Europe and other parts of the world. In the US it will remain a fairly rare occurrence, both domestic and foreign.

Politics will get even stupider.

Iran will be in the news.

If things get interesting enough, one of these things that keeps nuclearly proliferating will get used in a nuclear fashion.

Global warming will continue, and regional climate changes/destabilizations will be more frequent.

And of course, many of us will become Internet-addicted cyborgs, and modifications will be a contributor to cultural identity, sometimes trendy, sometimes status symbols.

That’s my not-too-wild guess.

16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm waiting for 90's retro; ill-fitting flannel and distressed jeans for everyone!

My girlfriend and I think that a mixing of grunge and shoegaze is going to be the next big thing. Grunge-gaze will inspire a latent, but short-lived revival of psychaedelia, in an ironic way, of course.

Meanwhile, it tandem, it will continue to be cool for rich kids to wear ugly Salvation Army-rejected, rags and form dumb noise bands, while routinely think that being oblique and aloof=arty, even though it still just makes you a huge jerk.

17. What, you don't have one yet?

[​IMG]

Rock on
    Eric

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I think that it's entirely possible that first world capitalism will be deemed a failed experiment. We would all revert back to a third world economy, and that'll be that.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will go out to lunch at the Thai place in two hours. I can predict this with absolute certainty, as I am the master of my own destiny.

20. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bring me back a doggy bag...