Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the G&L L-2000....she sure isn't subtle!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kindablue, Sep 4, 2004.

1. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    I just picked one up and man is it bright and in your face.i usually perfer a mellow, subdued single coil sound,so this is a completely different animal than what i'm accustomed to.i'm mostly a blues ,country and jazz player,do you think this is the wrong bass for those generes?

2. I don't think it's wrong for anything, lots of tonal possibilities.

Try it during band practice !

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, L-2000s rock. I have an old L-2000E with Kahler tremolo on its way to me.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Turn off the Treble Boost, select neck pup, and roll of treble a bit, and you can get pretty mellow. Take time to understand to tone controls on that GL...they are bit different from most other basses.

5. Nice, man! I've got an ASAT with a Kahler tremolo ;) Super sexy.

And yeah, G&L's have about a million tone options. It takes a little while to figure how one knob or switch affects the next, but after you get it, you'll be able to dial in just about any tone you could think of. :bassist:

joe

6. i've had fender jazzes and precisions for the last 20 years and finally picked up a new l-2000... at first i thought i made a mistake but after playing with the controls for a few days i can make it sound like my fenders or any othe bass for that matter, very versatile, when i can only bring one bass to a gig this is the one !! try running it in passive mode in parellel with just the front pickup and roll off a little treble

7. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree...The L-2000 has a ton of tone options. I just got mine about 3 weeks ago...at first I was overwhelmed with all the knobs and switches, but then I found the ones that I like for my style and now I can switch the tone to suit what I'm playing really quick. The Passive/Active switch is really cool...not many basses have this option. Give it a few eeks or so and you'll fall in love!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Can you warm those pickups up with a round warm fingerstyle tone?.

9. I'm learning Watching the Detectives right now (Elvis Costello) which requires a warm fat reggae tone, which pumps out of the MFD pups without any hassle. I love it. You can go from J, to P, and you can get darn close to a MM, and everything you could want in between.

joe