1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Gear Game

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Aug 9, 2007.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I've been thinking...getting caught up in some useful some useless discussions here over the past week.

I'm 33 years old, 12 years ago or so I had a nice set up of gear, pre college graduation:

Musicanman SR5
    '73 Fender Jazz
    SVT Classic head / 810 cabinet

Morelli DB (old carved) with a BP100
    GK 100MB amp

Since then I have gone on countless buy/sell and trade binges. My musical tastes and desires have changed dramatically.

I sold the Morelli as a down payment on my first home when I got married. Everything else was sold or traded for what I percieved as the newest best thing.

I'm would assume many guys have similar circumstances and those that just stuck with the tried and true probably have a little more in the bank because of it.

For those younger guys be ware I don't think I'm much better off then I was then although I really have enjoyed all the gear I have aquired and then let go. Some things I wish I still had, some I wish I never bought.

No summary no profound statement I just thought I'd share my experience.

My signature is more of a reminder to myself then a statement for others....

2. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I agree totally. And these forums just create more GAS......

3. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Did I mention the debt I racked up back then being a student?

Well it took some time once I got a real job to work myself out of it........

Live and learn...

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks I'm starting to realize this before this, even though it's really hard to learn... TB doesn't help much either.

5. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    There are worse things you could be doing with your $$.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Very true. I think that far too many of us get caught up believing the advertising hype that manufacturers disseminate. We then pass it along. Also too many of us seem to think that once they've made a purchase they have to defend it as the world's greatest, even if it falls short. Nobody likes to admit they were wrong. And there are a lot of others who make learned evaluations of gear without even having played through it.

That said, I use a Mesa Walkabout Scout 12, which is the greatest amp in the world. Anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot. :)

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

But its folks like us who keep funding the industry and keeping it alive and kicking with new gear and R&D.

I have gone through loads of gear..
    buying and selling ..
    and I enjoyed every single minute of it...
    made a few bonehead choices and scored a few good deals...
    I have loads of great gear and will unload it someday..and probably keep the first bass I purchased.. a Fender P Bass !