Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Gear is HERE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Sep 29, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    My gear game.. Well some of it

Euphonic Audio iAmp500
    BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Now I just my Ampeg SVT410HLF cab.

This is my first rig stuff.. So as I stare at the plugs, and jacks on the back of the iamp500 , i need to ask a few questions..

1.what kind of cords and plugs I need to hook up the amp to the 482i , and then from that to the cab?

2.the route my items should run is what? ex.:
    AMP->BBE->CAB or BBE->AMP->CAB

3.I don't think the Amp and the BBE are the same size, so I don't know what to do about a rack case.

4.This question doesn't have to do with the rig, but my new MTD Fretless Kingston 5.. There is alot of string buzzing even when I tuned it up. Should I get it professionally set-up because I don't know if its a neck problem or action, or both. And where can I learn to master how to set-up my bass?

And what kind of strings should I put on it? I would like T.I.'s , either jazz flats or powerbass .

Thanks all..

I will have full family picture of Basses and Rig when its all done and set up, and I can't wait till then! :hyper:

(For a newbie to the rig world, I feel like I got some kick ass equipment!)

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as the bbe has 1/4" inputs and outputs you can use any quality instrument patch cords to do the job
    i'd probably run the bbe in the effects loop of the iamp(if it has one)
    you'd do that by plugging the effcts send of the iamp into the input of the bbe, and then plugging the output of the bbe into the effects return of the iamp
    you cant run from the iamp into the bbe and then into the cab because you would be running a speaker level into the bbe and fry it instantly
    btw, just make sure that you use speaker cable and not instrument cable when connecting the speaker out jack of the iamp into the cabinet
    i'm not sure if the iamp is rackmountable, but i can't imagine that it's not.......if it's smaller than 19" in width they might offer rack ears to make up the difference (like on eden's 300, 400 and 550 amps)
    it sounds like the neck relief and/or action on you rbass need some tweaking - whoever sets up your bass for you can steer you in the right direction as far as learning how to do it yourself
    as for strings, you'll just have to experiment till you find out what you like best

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    You can't run the BBE between the amp and the cabinet. You need to put it before the amp or in the effects loop (probably your better option). I seriously recommend trying the amp without the BBE and see if you can't get your tone with the very flexible iAmp EQ.

Cables: Instrument cables for everything EXCEPT when going to the cabinet. For this you need a SPEAKER CABLE which is NOT an instrument cable or else you'll ruin the cabinet and possibly the head.

If you don't know what you're doing with the set up of the bass, take it to someone who does and have them do it. With that said, there are many books on it out there. I think the the best thing is to just go and do it but be careful, particularly with the truss rod. Consider getting a beater bass for just that purpose. Also look into the Set Up forum on here as well as there are many useful tips in there too... :cool:

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Thank you all for the great amount of help!

I have a Squire P that needs a little lowering of the action, and a new string set-up. That I will try and do on my own with some help of the forums and a book or 2. The kingston I will take to someone though, and let them have had it with my specifications.

I guess all i'll be needing then is speaker cables and I'll be ready to go! :hyper:

5. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Sorry to post a question of my own into your thread, but my Ampeg SVT 410 HLF will be here tomorrow, and I will be using the Behringer BX3000T with it(300 watts). Will I also need a speaker cable? If so what gauge? And would a speakon-speakon cable be better than a 1/4"-1/4" or 1/4"-speakon? Thanks so much, and sorry again, but I didn't see the need for a new thread.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just a note on the speaker cable for the originator and the other person asking about speaker cables.

The iAmps probably have Speakon outputs for the speakers (I know that's all the iAmp-800 has).
    Assuming the ampeg 410 you're talking about and the amp both have Speakon connectors, a Speakon to Speakon speaker cable would be the best to use (make sure you let the person you get it from that it will be running from a mono amp to a speaker cab so they can make sure the wires are connected to the correct posts inside the connectors -- there's actually 4 connection points inside each Speakon connector).
    The owners manual for the amps should indicate the correct connections to use on the Speakons, if not, it's probably online somewhere.

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Spend time on the Squier learning how to set it up. Then apply that knowledge to the Kingston. I've found over the years that with patience and listening, I can set up my bass as well as a trained tech in most cases...why...because I know what I want it to play/sound like. Start with figuring out how to straighten the neck to get good action without excessive fret buzz. Then adjust the height of the strings to continue on the playability without too much buzz. There are books and posts on this subject. You wil drive yourself crazy at first, but at some point it becomes survival and you will gain much confidence in your ability to service your own instrument...now if I could only solder, I could do my own mods with the same confidence...