The Geddy Lee and Rush appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Felken, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Here we discuss our favourite bass player, Geddy Lee, and his most faithful bandmates.

Share some videos, favourite Rush songs, some live solos, bass gear, fan gear, tutorials, stories, and anything that is Rush.

byoung93888 likes this.
  2. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I will begin with a magnificient solo:

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I think there's already great (so deserved) Geddy appreciation around in TB. Still, only recently I noticed an additional BIG talent he has for impersonating doing drunk people's voices. Proof around 1:50...

Spidey2112, exidor and kkaarrll like this.
  4. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    favorite band ever

now how to get geddy sound out of a stingray??? hmmm

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

One of the main reasons I started playing bass. I started bass in about 6th grade. By 7th or 8th grade my buddies were challenging me to learn "Lessons" off 2112.

The rest is history. I learned a ton of Rush tunes. I have moved on - of course - to add many other influences (rock, jazz, funk, etc) but learning any real difficult tunes that required some serious technique - and countless times picking up the needle and trying to place it in the same place on the record - was because of Geddy.

Spidey2112, byoung93888 and Felken like this.
  6. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    It's impossible to get his sound. Period.

kkaarrll likes this.
  7. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Geddy Lee answers your questions!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cliff's Notes version-
    First heard Rush in 1974. Guitarist in my HS garage band had their debut. At the time, I was a huge Zeppelin fan. I was kinda "Meh...they sound like Zeppelin. Good bass player, though".

By the time Rush moved onto 'heavier Prog-style Rock', I was entrenched in Jazz-Funk-R&B. Never really followed them...I had 0 chance of ever being in a band like that, so I didn't really study Glee's thing. ;-)

In the '90s, I finally bought Moving Pictures & Signals...again, respected them, but not a fan.

Sometime last Summer, someone here posted that Netflix had the Rush docu for streaming.
    I love band documentaries...so I watched. And I watched again...and again.
    The 3 coolest guys E.V.E.R.

I have picked up pretty much everything but the debut, Caress Of Steal, & Vapor Trails.
    Picked up all the concert DVDs/BDs, too. Love them.
    The concert DVD of Live In Rio is the craziest crowd I have ever seen.
    That particular audience becomes the band's 4th member.

Amazing what they pull off live; their chops very much intact in spite of them being a 100-years old or so, ;-)

Spidey2112, Dedalus69 and Felken like this.
  9. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    One of the first (if not the first) songs by Rush I ever heard was "Fly By Night" and the bass line really kinda jumped out at me and I thought "That's some pretty awesome bass playing. Who is that?" It made go explore a little deeper into Geddy and Rush in general. Although I'm not a huge fan of all their works, there are plenty of songs by them that I love and I respect the hell out of them for their talent and ability.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Oh man you have to get Caress of Steel! It's one of their finest!

Have you heard of the new documentary? It's a one-night only event on november 3rd. I'm seeing it.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh...I will have all 3 of the above soon. I'll gift myself on Xmas. ;-)
    The new Documentary will be on the List, too...DVD/BD release in Nov?

Felken likes this.
  12. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Blue ray will be out some time after, but I don't think it will be in november.

13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I love Geddy.
    Especially the restaurant

IMG_0470.JPG
    Oh- and he's one of my favorite bassists

Spidey2112 and JimK like this.
  14. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Nice! Do you get a free jazz bass with every order?

twinjet and tangentmusic like this.
  15. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I would suggest running the eq at the detents except the mid, turn that down a tad to emulate jazz bass scoop. Don't boost anything on the bass, get some grind from your amps preamp or maybe a good light overdrive pedal if your amp can't do it.

Or better yet, pick up a jazz bass.

But the stingray used normally, should be able to get his clean wal bass era sound.

Geddy and Neil are like spirit family to me, and Alex is spirit step family. In 2004 my dad and Neil were doppelgangers, geddy as a kid looked awfully like my maternal uncle as a kid, and my mother as a teenager looked like she could have been his sister (before she had rhinoplasty). Not to mention my dad grew up in Kenmore NY, right across the niagra river from st catherines Ontario.

Uncle Owen perhaps? Jedi drama...

16. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I imagine it has something to do with his training in piano, but his ideas are so "musical". There is a strong foundation that just make his lines make sense to me.

17. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Hey guys check this out, at 2:20.

That amazing bass sound, it sounds so hollow. Pure Rickenbacker. Anyone know how to get it?

Also:

Here is an extended version of Malignant Narcissism that I made!

Enjoy!

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Amazon is showing November 18th as a release date...

Johno Dunn likes this.
  19. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    No
    But the place is a rush

20. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Badum tss :roflmao:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021