1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Geddy Lee Jazz Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Is the nut possibly cut a bit to wide?

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Check the break angle of the string at the nut to the tuning peg.You may need to rewind it lower on the peg. Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Brent

Spidey2112 and gsgbass like this.
  3. The nut does seem to possibly be an issue. Like you said, the string's height on the peg could be it as well.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    Yo, how about a numbah for my Ged :)

Attached Files:

nattiep likes this.
  5. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I agree that it's most likely the nut. The sting break angle could be an issue, but he did say he installed a string retainer.

6. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Yeah, I’m extremely conscientious to the point of OCD of having the last wrap at THE BOTTOM of the post, and several wraps going up, not just one or two. Break angle over the nut is essentially same as the D string, now that I have the retainer on the A. I don’t WANT it to be the nut, knowing a replacement will never look as nice (USA with the painted or bound sides). But it probably is.

crucislancer likes this.
  7. . Does it only rattle in an open position? Is it klanking the first fret and go away on every fret thereafter? Sounds like the depth of the slot more than anything to me. You can do the old baking soda/super glue to fix slot depth all tidy like.

keto likes this.
  8. Tulsa Teddy

Tulsa Teddy

Aug 11, 2016
    Tulsa
    sigterm, How about #265. Welcome aboard.

sigterm likes this.
  9. Tulsa Teddy

Tulsa Teddy

Aug 11, 2016
    Tulsa
    nattiep, #264 Welcome

nattiep and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. My USA Geddy Lee Jazz with a Black Moto PG. I still contend, it's the finest Jazz Fender put's out.
    g0XmNVr. aJIcM7M.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  11. RobinG

RobinG Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm all about the band I play in. I've been playing Gretsch 5123B's and a few other bases for a few years. This weekend, we played a 2.5 hour set on 4/20, and a second 2.5 hour set on 4/21, playing 70 songs at a private party. The temps got into the 40's, and the Geddy did not go out of tune.. I knew it wouldn't :) I played the Geddy for every tune, and LOVED it! If you look to the far left of the pic, That's my left leg, and a piece of my Geddy!
    Robin

Attached Files:

12. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    Do y'all always wear those matching boots?

13. RobinG

RobinG Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Washington State
    Didn't look far enough.. and I understand..

Robin

14. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I recently aquired this MIM Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, the previous owner installed Nordstrand NJ4SV VINTAGE HUM-CANCELLING pick-ups and the white pearloid pick guard, still fiddling with the pick-up heights, for the best sound, it's currently strung with TI flatwounds

41631155522_d21a643275_b. IMG_20180424_091127 by Jessica Stacey, on Flickr

15. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    Was just watching some Curtis Harding on youtube and saw his bass player rocking a foam muted GL, thought you all might enjoy

16. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    About to put DiMarzio model J’s in my USA GL, anyone done same? Play rock with a pick, I find the stock pups too bright and clicky (especially with drive pedals like DG AO) and want more low mid content.

PMagers likes this.
  17. Very curious to hear about this. Please update us when you complete the mod.

18. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    IMG_0416.JPG NOT a GL an original 73 and my #1 bass for many years

19. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Not in a USA GL, but Justin Meldal-Johnsen used Model Js in CIJ GLs when he was touring with Nine Inch Nails. There's lots of footage on YouTube from those tours.

keto likes this.
  20. PMagers

PMagers Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Philly, Philadelphia
    I installed Model Js and wired a push-pull pot series/parallel in my MIJ. Really opened it up, more versatile and will still grind when needed.

FrugalBassist likes this.