The Geddy Lee Jazz Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I only have an MIM wow does this make me a fake Geddy fan :( /s

EdBo likes this.
  2. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    Nope! The one is Geddy enough!

EdBo likes this.
  3. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    Maybe when I'm not a university student anymore I will be able to invest in the other two. Or better yet maybe they'll have a model of his blue custom shop bass by then :roflmao:

yxYyd.jpg

4. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Of course not. The statement was tongue in cheek. I used the winky and laughing emojis! You rock whatever works for you.

EdBo likes this.
  5. maverick49

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    FWIW - Here are my custom "Geddys" after having several iterations of the sig models. The Ocean Turq has the MIM Ged neck on Am. Standard body with overwound Lollars. The Black has the MIA Ged neck on a MIM body with overwound Aguilar 70s. The necks and pickups are the keys to the magic.
    20201207_174536.jpg

6. Those are both very lovely but my brain keeps wanting to switch the necks around :D.

7. maverick49

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    Thanks! They were at one point but this way balanced the weight of both better. The MIA neck is a bit heavier than the MIM. But I may swap them back if get bored...lol.

God's Favorite Bass and EdBo like this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    They go quickly when they do pop up so act fast if you spot one. Crafted in Japan models are nice too. Different inlays , pickups, and neck but still a good bass.

EdBo likes this.
  9. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    A48764E6-E276-485D-B575-076656BEB5CD.jpeg FBC06213-585D-4CB9-B243-68C57B4558D4.jpeg
    This was my first gig with my 1974 J-Bass (4 bolt neck). What an easy Bass to play.

10. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I own a MIM-G/L and CIJ - G/L, I think the CIJ is just a little better made than the MIM. both have been upgraded with Nordstrand hum canceling vintage P/U's, going to be selling the MIM one in Jan, since I made my Frank'n/Geddy PJ bass, I need to thin out the heard a bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  11. The CIJs are just the gems...they're hard to find now. I think owners realize the real value of CIJ/MIJ Fenders back then and are holding on to them. You'd have to pay a premium to pry it off their hands, tbh.

The MIMs hold their own, tbh but I find they gave the skinny neck a little more meat near the nut area. My MIM definitely feels thicker at that area of the neck than the CIJs I've owned. Might have been something they looked at with all the nasty issues of the skinnier necks from before.

EdBo likes this.
  12. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    Most of California is under stay at home orders again. But there is no sign that the Fender factory will be closing and according to them, my ETA is still March.

13. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Lots of crafted in Japan models on reverb right now.

EdBo likes this.
  15. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    Right now I'm focused on the MIA version. I have another place I'm going to try before moving on. I'm not too worried - I can wait a while until things settle down if I have to.

EdBo, lowdownthump and ShawnG like this.
  16. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    One of the big box places says they're back ordered until April. That beats not being able to order at all, so I went ahead. It's going to be a long 4 months.
    I would have preferred going with the smaller local shop, but I guess they don't carry as much weight with Fender.

EdBo likes this.
  17. You'll have the bass long before my missing package from USPS since June arrives. Don't worry.

EdBo and Sponson Thrisby like this.
  18. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    I feel ya. But let's hope it's worth it!

EdBo and Sponson Thrisby like this.
  19. Has anyone changed out the stock Geddy high mass bridge for a Leo Quan BA II bridge just to make the bass more "Geddy Lee Jazz Bass authentic-like"? I realize both bridges are about the same, I'm just curious to know if anyone changed them out just because they'd rather have the BA II.

BTW, I sold my CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (black body version) about thirteen years ago because I got out of playing music for a year or so. I regret selling it, of course, but I plan on buying another one soon, as I'm selling a bass to get the money to buy another CIJ GLJB.

20. I did. Made no difference other than a dent in my bank account tbh. I found the BAII was slightly lighter than the Geddy Lee high mass stock bridge but the bass itself is heavy anyways.

nattiep and FJBass82 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021