The Geddy Lee Jazz Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jymyben

jymyben Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    34978DC0-3CC2-49BA-96DC-59953AB253EB.jpeg B9A1331C-BE4C-4E10-AD76-D105A345D3C3.jpeg 938FE507-BDF7-4491-B085-90C6BF22C170.jpeg

in his bass book, geddy shows one he says
    is a close second to his number one, this is
    my tribute to that bass...

geddy usa neck, brantley pickups and a fender usa body i found online...

here’s his in action...

2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    IMO that 72 bass sounded better than his #1 he used on that song in 2007-08.

EdBo likes this.
  3. IMO his main 72 sounded like crap after Snakes and Arrows Live.

EdBo likes this.
  4. EdBo likes this.
  5. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    I honestly love the sound more after snakes and arrows. It sounded awesome in the mix. I found the snakes and arrows tone a bit too much in your face. Which I used to love, but after a while his Time Machine Tour and Clockwork angles tone sounded a lot better. R40 tone was alright. To each their own I guess.

EdBo likes this.
  6. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    That look is so classy! And to think Geddy bought his on ebay. My favourite from the book is his surf green master built jazz with the matching headstock. Such a beautiful look.

EdBo and lowdownthump like this.
  7. Yeah I spent months in my college days trying to replicate the SnA tone but realize it doesn't really work for a lot of genres I play lol.

Clockwork Angels Tour tone was hot garbo. Not sorry but I couldn't even hear the bass properly in that live performance.

EdBo likes this.
  8. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    Wow I loved the clockwork angles tone lol. But you are right about its presence in the mix. Hard to hear it unless it was soloed. But the tone is very subjective. I mean some people even love the Steinberger tone. And a lot of people only like one of his tones from the past. The tones post snakes and arrows sound a lot more versatile and natural to the jazz bass. There must have been a good reason he changed it.

EdBo and MovingPitchers like this.
  9. It definitely has a low end punch to it that the Ricky, Wal, or the Steinberger didn't possess. The Wal and Steinberger sounded too Stingray-like. The Jazz fit extremely well especially in Counterparts. Heavy bottom end with that jazz bass grit.

EdBo likes this.
  10. Bret Music

Bret Music

Jun 29, 2020
    Ohio USA
    I really like mine.
    IMG_20210325_151935099.jpg

lowdownthump, 20GLJazz, Qlanq and 3 others like this.
  11. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    I have a 2020 MIA, can I join?

Attached Files:

12. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    I am searching in vain for a black block inlay neck. So far the only one I have found is a new 2021 Performer II and they want 600 bucks for it. I don't want it that bad...

13. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
  14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Have you checked stratosphere?

EdBo likes this.
  15. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    Like daily. I can't see paying 450 for the allparts neck. There was a Pro II for 600 freakin bucks.

EdBo likes this.
  16. Bret Music

Bret Music

Jun 29, 2020
    Ohio USA
    Yeah, that's the reason i went with the MIM. For the black blocks and black binding. Fender really should look into more options for the USA model for the block and binding. I know they dont have a problem selling them, that's for sure. I really like the burst on the body as well. The 3 tone burst MIM just a really nice combination of everything I like.

EdBo, lowdownthump and 20GLJazz like this.
  17. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    If you want a black block FIVE FREAKING STRING you can go grab one up at Fender. 4 string? NOOOO...

EdBo and Bret Music like this.
  18. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020

I'm not sure what the general preference is. But I personally like the pearl blocks and white binding over the black blocks and black binding. Maybe it's cause I'm too much of a Geddy Lee fan lol. But I don't have the USA Geddy so until I get the one I ordered. I can then compare it with my CIJ!

Also to note. Fender did have a black block inlay and binding version of the USA. But it was a limited edition in crimson red and there are only 100 out there. They should have kept it as a regular production cause I would've had one by now if they did.

19. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    I've looked at lots of pics of the red bass...it's ok. The original-or should I say first-neck on Geddy's #1 was a black block, that is half of my obsession. The other is, the pearloid disappears into the maple. May as well not be there.

EdBo likes this.
  20. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    Something I found interesting the other day-I was watching some live video of Rush and noticed the signature on the headstock of Geddy's bass. So he played, at least once, a Geddy Lee Signature Jazz in concert. I don't know if this is common knowledge or not...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021