The Geddy Lee Jazz Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    Yes, I recall reading somewhere that the Custom Shop makes them for him. I suspect he didn't take the real one on the road much in the later years.

EdBo, lowdownthump and 20GLJazz like this.
  2. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    The MIA neck is oil rubbed, not a standard finish. Are the Japanese and Mexican necks the same, anyone know?

EdBo likes this.
  3. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    I believe the MIJ and MIM necks are just regular poly coatings. Only the MIA and CS necks are sanded and oiled.

4. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is correct

EdBo, lowdownthump and 20GLJazz like this.
  5. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    Thank you. This is game changing in my quest to replace my pearl inlay neck...
    In light of this I am now hesitant to change the neck.

EdBo, Bret Music and lowdownthump like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The pearl blocks have an aged tint to them. They still look great . At least mine do. No they aren’t as bright as non aged ones but they still pop under lights and if you catch the camera angle just right.
    Looks good in person. Very classy look. Black looks classic , not classy.
    Those oil rubbed necks and that 9.5 radius and the C carve are perfect for my hands. Not too thick which is why I bought a US Geddy over a vintage 70’s jazz. My short fingers and small hands can’t handle that U shape and 7.5 radius. Probably doesn’t matter to most men but to a 5”5 female it makes a huge difference .

EdBo, BassPilot, Bret Music and 4 others like this.
  7. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    Yeah, Geddy used the CIJ signature neck during the Snakes and Arrows Tour. He had to replace his original neck so he just took one off the signature and put it onto his bass. He also had the finish on the back sanded to prevent it from getting sticky. It didn't last long though as he switched to the custom shop neck shortly after. He found the custom shop neck more comfortable to play.

Some people find the black blocks contrast too much with the maple. And both Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller prefer the pearloid blocks. It doesn't fade away in the maple when you have the stage lights shining onto it.

8. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    I find the aged blocks look better than the non-aged ones. The non-aged ones seem to clash with the colour of the maple. The ones on the USA Geddy fit perfectly with the maple.

EdBo, 20GLJazz and lowdownthump like this.
  9. got_the_bug

got_the_bug Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    What’s odd to me is that the pickguard doesn’t match the blocks...maybe this is the case on the original instrument. Anyway, I liked the way mine looked when I swapped it for an aged cream pearl guard...

EdBo and 20GLJazz like this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I swapped my pearl PG with a aged pearl and immediately switched it back. For me the grass wasn't greener .

11. got_the_bug

got_the_bug Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    I’m sure some like the contrast...probably just me and my OCD...:laugh:

12. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    When I finally get the one I've ordered (probably around 2052), I've been thinking about getting a duplicate pick-guard and making an alchemical symbol - not the same as GL's, but something relevant to me. Mark it out in pen, dremel or route the shape, and paint black.
    Has anyone done that? If there's experience out there, I'd like to know rather than learn the hard way. Thanks.

EdBo and 20GLJazz like this.
  13. Bret Music

Bret Music

Jun 29, 2020
    Ohio USA
    The MIM Geddy neck has heavy poly coat. Really thick and glossy, very pleasant to the eye. I took some light scotch brite to the back of neck of mine and helped alot.

14. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    I bet some will call me a heathen, but I like it---I am blacking out my MIA Geddy, and switched controls to stacked knobs. I ordered black pickup screws and jack nut/washers, and next will be a black Hipshot kickass bridge. blackbass.jpg

Mr_O'B, Bret Music and lowdownthump like this.
  15. Take it to an engraving shop and spare the hard way.

nattiep likes this.
  16. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    If you like it , Rock it!! :thumbsup:

Black Out Jazz likes this.
  17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    In another month I’ll reach my one year anniversary for buying my US Geddy .

Im still head over heels for this bass. Best Fender , best Jazz Bass, best 4 string I’ve ever played.

I think I snagged one if the last new ones before they became so scarce and the price increased. Best $ 1400 I’ve ever spent.
    I was initially put on a waiting list that some are still waiting on a year later. But after 2 weeks I woke up and checked the Sweetwater page and saw this store demo for a big discount and snagged it. Mint condition.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Bret Music, Mr_O'B and Black Out Jazz like this.
  18. Black Out Jazz

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    They are basically Custom Shop basses. I've never played a neck like this. It's just freakin perfect for me.

lowdownthump likes this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Exactly !!

Black Out Jazz likes this.
  20. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    That's saying a lot considering the other incredible basses that you own!

Black Out Jazz and lowdownthump like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021