The Geddy Lee Jazz Club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. I've had no problems with my MIJ's neck. It's been super stable. I had a MIM version too but liked the MIJ better so that's the one I still have. Very different animal than my MIA Geddy, but i like it. My only beef was it's a grampaburst (my dislike is just my cross to bear) but it's chilling with Marty Bell right now to rectify the issue.

2. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    The store I ordered my US Geddy from just told me they're now looking at October.
    I'm still checking every now and then for a used one in the area, but hanging in for now.

3. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    Where’s the dislike button on TB? :bored:

4. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    I wonder if they'll discontinue the US Geddy at some point? I kinda wish they'd do a run with a nitro black finish.

5. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
  6. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    Rocknroller4 and jamersonburton like this.
  7. Same here. I have a 2002 CIJ and the neck is more than solid. In my naivety, I turned the trussrod the wrong way for a very long time before I figured out what I was doing. (Sorry, it is my first real bass, and I have experimented a lot on it). That was two years ago. and the next is still straight and stays in tune.

So, maybe there are runs of the Geddy's that had issues, but I'm yet to see one myself. It's the best built and best finished bass in my mediocre stable. (2019 Ric, 2017 MIM P-Bass, unknown old Yamaha)

8. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Is the proper direction for the truss rod counter clockwise for back bow?

CaptObvious likes this.
  9. Considering I almost destroyed my Geddy, I'm not the person to be asking. :laugh:

Rocknroller4 and Black Out Jazz like this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    :wideyed:

11. Righty tighty lefty loosey...

12. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    Is that looking from down the headstock? I know silly question. I haz the dum tonight.

13. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Yes. Righty tighty lefty loosey is always looking down at the top of the nut/screw/fastener

or in playing position for a righty, you turn the adjustment tool towards yourself to straighten the neck or turn it away from yourself to add more relief. Start with only 1/4 turn at a time and go slow. Never force the nut

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Rocknroller4 likes this.
  14. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    The USA Geddy has the truss rod adjustment at the neck heel, so from the playing position, righty/tighty (flatter neck) is turn the tool away from you (to the right), lefty/loosely (more bow) is turn the tool towards you (to the left).
    @Rabidhamster is on target with no more than a 1/4 turn at a time, a little goes a long ways and it is easier to have to make another 1/4 turn adjustment rather than make a big adjustment to start and then have to chase it back and forth to find the sweet spot.
    I also let my neck settle for several minutes after each adjustment and then come back to it, with a wood neck the whole process is somewhat “organic,” not as straightforward as simply adjusting a digital device “a couple of clicks” to get to a pre-determined setting. Setting up a bass is a little bit of a zen thing. It’s not hard, but does require some patience and back and forth, but it’s worth it when you get everything in its sweet spot.

15. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    I wish I could find a couple more CIJ's. Mine is a very good fit for me 2004 (if I recall) and it would be nice to have a backup.

16. droneboy

droneboy

Mar 28, 2009
    it's late but it ain't never.
    this one turned 20 this april, yüah!

photo_2020-07-07_16-31-54.jpg

photo_2020-07-07_16-32-18.jpg

photo_2019-11-16_16-21-49.jpg

it's my 2001 cij geddy - limited edition,
    still in very good shape and a killer bass!:)

17. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4

Jul 8, 2019
    USA
    I've never made adjustments to any of mine because of my lack of experience doing it. I just trust they are ok and usually sight down the neck. Most of mine have a very slight bow except my Rick which I dare not try and adjust. Only one I feel most comfortable with are the truss rod access at the neck like a previous Player Precision I had. I wish Fender would just make that standard on some of these signature basses or at least in regards to the Ged, a bullet style truss rod.

18. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I’ll never understand why all manufacturers don’t go with the truss rod wheel like EBMM and Sadowsky use. It is such a HUGE improvement.

19. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Cort GB bass 74 series has similar truss rod wheel on neck heel too.

20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    It is but must admit that I like the vintage features of my Geddy Lee.

Black Out Jazz and Rocknroller4 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021