Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the.......geddy miller?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themathrock, Jun 19, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yup, I got one! So far have only practiced with it. Observations: Change the strings immediately! Uneven output may suggest use of a compressor (or just a minor pickup alignment) and the plastic nut kills sustain. Planning to do a few upgrades.

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    how are the pickups? My SX Jazz has some pretty big bottom end to their pickups. are these the same? How wide is the nut? I don't necessarilly trust any widths listed on the site...

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Mine should be here next week. Rondo sent a fretless the first time around. Let us know how much of a difference the nut replacement makes DW.

As far as width I don't know the exact measurments but it felt quite tight to me and I play a six string carvin (fairly tight spacing). I doubt these are the same pickups, the Brice gear is made by a whole different crew than the SX.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

hmmm...I wonder if the pickups might actually be a step down. There are very few pickups that I have heard that I like more than the SX.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The nut is narrow. Now quite as narrow as 'pencil neck' Ibanex SR's but not bad either. I'm think of either brass or graphite (hard to cut) as a replacement nut. The pickups are pretty loud. I'm going to try new strings as the stock strings suck. They just sound dead and lifeless. I will say this, the bass is louder than my active Tobias.

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    might have to get one, I like skinnier necks...

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Another thing to consider:

The neck seemed quite a bit thinner than the standard Fender shape. I know some people like the round shape of Fender necks and some hate them.