The Geddy tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnvice, Oct 5, 2004.

1. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I would be interested in knowing what effect settings you have tried to get the “Geddy Sound”. I noticed that the BOSS GT-6B modeling effect unit has a setting called “Geddy’s”. If anyone has a GT-6B, it would great to know what the manual says about this tone. Maybe it lists the EQ settings used.
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Which Geddy sound? His tone has changed from album to album over the past 30 years.
  3. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I think of THE Geddy sound as the Rush albums from "Farewell To Kings" to "Moving Pictures";

Farewell To Kings
    Permanenet Waves
    Moving Pictures
  4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    IMHO, it is a jazz bass or rickenbaker, stereo signal, with the high end being overdriven or using a tom shotlz power soak type device....and Geddy twangs his strings very hard, has very strong fingers!

And he plays flamenco style, using 3-4 fingers of the right hand....therefore he is able to get those fast bass solos like on strangiato or YYZ to sound so freaking awesome!
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I can get it with my warwick and sansamp :p, and if I restring my Ric, I could probably get closer.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Another option is to lower the action on your bass to get that twangy sound.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Everything I have read about Geddy says he uses one finger, at most two. It is quite clear he uses one finger on the Rush in Rio dvd.
  8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I've seen him use two.
  9. ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    There was one part on the Rio documentary where he talks about how he had recently strained one of his fingers and was practicing to get it back up to par. I dont know if that had anything to do with the one finger use on the actual show.
  10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, that's a farely recent technique he has been using. Although he has always favored his index finger, he was using pretty much standard two finger technique back when those songs were recorded (and I saw him play, up close, many times during that era).
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I know I saw somewhere (perhaps on Rush in Rio???) on La Villa Strangiato, when the bass comes in he's playing a C on the G string with 3 fingers. I'd never seen him do it before, so I was kinda shocked.

Generally for the faster passages now, he seems to favor using that heavy index fingernail in a back and forth motion, a la picking. For those passages, you might be better to use a pick :eek: to mimick that tone.
  12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I must have been mistaken....I could have sworn I read an interview where he talked about using more then 2 fingers..

But the guy is so good he could play with his nose and still sound great!
  13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    If he played with his nose, he'd need a much wider string spacing.
  14. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I would agree as I saw him first on the Signals tour and was impressed at;
    1. His stunning bassmanship
    2. #1 plus singing lead vocals at the same time
    3. #2 plus playing the Taurus pedals at the same time
    4. Those damn two fingers plucking hard! Geddy was not using his flamenco technique (which is great to see in Rush in Rio) in the early 80s. While I am impressed at players who can leverage limited physical motion and expenditure into high-speed bassing, I was stunned watching Geddy slamming 16th notes on his Steinberg bass with good old-fashioned 2 finger plucking.
  15. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Whafrodamus, what do you set your SansAmp at to accomplish this ?