1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Geddy vs 70 Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Ok, so I plan to get the Geddy Lee signature bass, and people say that the neck on it is super thin and such. But its a 70's reissue right? Well I played an actual 70's reissue in my local music store, and I have to say, the neck was absolutely terrible! It might have been the thickest neck I have ever played!

So my question, is the Geddy's neck the same as the 70's reissue? ( really thick ). Or is it thin?

2. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    No, the Geddy's neck is not at all like the 70s RI neck. The Geddy is basically a shaved-down version of a standard thin jazz neck. It's really really thin. Thinnest neck Fender sells, I think.

3. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    The original 70's Jazz basses had a thicker neck from front to back. The GL signature has a neck profile like Geddy's actual 70's Jazz. He had the neck shaved down to a thinner profile, and that's one thing Fender was trying to replicate when they made the GL Sig.

Yes, it's supposed be similar to a 70's jazz.....Geddy's 70's jazz.:D

4. StingrayJack

StingrayJack

Sep 29, 2008
    Texas
    i have a geddy lee and im thinking about gedding an ebony precision neck for it

the neck is just too damn skinny for me

5. OK, thats a relief.

And by the way stingrayjack, that would look really good :p

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I must have really big hands because i thought the Seventies neck was not that bad. The Geddy is really thin and fast though. I liked the Seventies Jazz, it is $100 cheaper than the Geddy because it has a typical MIM bridge.

7. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    go with the geddy. the badass and neck alone make this a killer bass.

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    The Geddy neck is super-comfortable but be prepared to adjust it. A lot. I'm seriously considering routing the pickguard so I don't have to take it off every time.

9. The Geddy has a thinner neck than an Ibanez if that tells you anything.

10. StingrayJack

StingrayJack

Sep 29, 2008
    Texas
    and also putting the stacked tone and volume knobs on it

11. +1