1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The generosity of Guitar Center is overwhelming

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tb-player, Aug 13, 2020.

1. tb-player

tb-player the bass player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Today, I received an email that an item I ordered from GC is on "extended backorder" and will not be available for some time. The email goes on to say that because I am important to them, they are giving me a personalized 15% discount coupon to use anywhere on their site. Use of this coupon will cancel my backordered item, in hopes that I get the gear I need at a great price.

Seems nice enough, right?

Then I clicked on the "Some exclusions may apply" link:

Check this out...

From the Guitar Center 'Special Coupon Details' page:
    Products from the following manufacturers are excluded: A Designs, ADAM, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, BAE, Barefoot Sound, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bose, Boss, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D'Angelico, D.W. Fearn, Dangerous Music, Dean Markley, Deering, Duesenberg USA, Earthquaker Devices, Earthworks, Electro-Harmonix, Elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, FOCAL, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, Gallien-Krueger, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Golden Age Project, GoPro, HeadRush, Heritage Audio, iConnectivity, ISP Technologies, iZotope, JHS Pedals, Johnson, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kramer, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lag Guitars, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Lucida, Mackie, Manley, Marshall, Martin, Meris, METRIC HALO, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Paiste, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, Primacoustic, PRS, Palatino, QSC, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Royer, Ruach Music, S.E. Shires, Savannah, se Electronics, Sennheiser, Sequential, SERATO, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Softube, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Squier, Steinberger, Steven Slate Drums, Studiologic, Supro, Suzuki, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, Telefunken, Teletronix, The Loar, Toft Audio Designs, Tone King, Tube-Tech, VHT, Voodoo Lab, Vox, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, WESTONE, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, Zvex.

Wow!! Thanks Guitar Center. I am overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness and generosity. :rollno::rollno::rollno:

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What manufacturers CAN you use it on???

3. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    hahaha wowwww. if it’s any consolation, i bought something that was back ordered and it still showed up in under a week. i think it’s more efficient if you order it through a physical store and have it shipped there for pickup. i ordered strings and picks online at the beginning of the ‘rona and they took about 3 weeks.

the harp unstrung and tb-player like this.
  4. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Wow, that's a brutal list! :bored:

DrayMiles and tb-player like this.
  5. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    According to Guitar Center documentation, the coupon can only be used on Window 95 Installation Discs (floppy version only), Hi-MD MiniDiscs, VHS-C head cleaners, Mesa Boogie rackmount all-tube amps, combo VHS/DVD recorders without built-in digital tuners, RF modulators for Intellivision videogame consoles, Motorola StarTac beltclip cellphone holders, reel-to-reel head demagnetizers, dbx 150 noise reduction units, Behringer Denoisers, original Line 6 pod power adapters, Fender Modern Player Tele basses, Washburn Wonderbars, replacement one piece Jazz Bass pickguards with integrated control plates, Genz-Benz Dad heads, P.M. Dawn cassette tape singles, Fender Bassman 100T heads in blonde tolex, Ampeg PF amps that actually work, HyperColor t-shirts, ARP synthesizer storage cases, ADA MB-1 rack preamps, candy cigarettes, Aunt Jemima pancake syrup, hand sanitizer, and Electro-Harmonix Black Finger pedals.

6. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    I know, right?!? I was genuinely shocked at this list.

I've been trying to see if I can come up with manufacturer I know of that's not on the list. I don't see Ludwig on there. Maybe now's the time to order that drum kit I've always wanted

Speterc, Son of Wobble, ToS and 5 others like this.
  7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Shopped on B st downtown San Diego in the 70's
    wouldn't recognize it.

8. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Brilliant!

krimo, Green Knight and HearNoStevil like this.
  9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    it's the same list as every music store, and you can get around it by contacting a sales person either via chat or by phone. the manufacturers don't allow stores to list them in the discounts list but apparently don't mind being actually discounted.

10. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    [Sees thread title....sets sarcasm detectors to maximum]

Ha, this is an OLD topic that re-surfaces every few years. Nothin' new with GC, they've had these discount coupons with the Encyclopedia of Exclusions as long as I can remember. Stuff you can buy with their 15% off coupon? I think it's pretty much limited to accessories, GC house brand merchandise, ect, ect...

No doubt many of these companies have "minimum advertised price" agreements with their retailers so they cannot advertise stuff for sale below a certain price. One GC cashier lady told me they sometimes CAN accept the coupon on a "forbidden" items, I've never tried to do so.

11. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    Lol... burger king!

12. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    guitar center 420576_350361271664308_2098668115_n.jpg

welcome to guitar center- your satisfaction is job none

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Does it make me old that I know what virtually all of those things are? :wacky:

R Briere, retslock, Spectrum and 15 others like this.
  14. LaklandLaksNADA

LaklandLaksNADA Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    So you can buy a....squier.

Sounds about right.

Big Shrek and sonojono like this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Hand sanitizer! How'd they let something that useful slip through?

ra33ra33, Low Down Brown and Ggaa like this.
  16. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    How? Because it's obviously not in stock, silly! :)

R Briere, Spectrum, ra33ra33 and 5 others like this.
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    That makes sense.

HearNoStevil likes this.
  18. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    All the ACME products are available.

8ee83f198a133be21a83d803aaf1e3299dbd4315.jpg

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Right up there with Prymaxe’d “sales” coupons. “Up to 30% off” and “some” exclusions apply.

Here’s the exclusions posted on the website.

Would have saved everyone a lot of reading if they just listed what wasn’t excluded. Assuming there’s anything they carry that’s not listed (besides MXR) that anybody would actually want to buy.

sing-modulator likes this.
  20. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    How is this news?