Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the genre that has your favorite bassists ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Larry46Graham, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Larry46Graham

Larry46Graham

Sep 28, 2005
    i was between funk and jazz but i would say funk because of it's crazy ass rhythm but also jazz has the most talented people.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    IMO, it is impossible to say what genre of music has the best bassists. Funk and Jazz do have very talanted players, but so do Rock (all forms), Blues, Reggae, Hip-Hop, etc.

3. The best genre for bassists would have to be "takes deep breath"

Progressive Funk Jazz Classical Rock Metal Blues R&B Alternative Experimental Jam Reggae Rap Soul Music

Damn do I want to start that band. You may notice I left out Country....draw your own conclusions.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Did the thread title/question change? :confused:

5. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Yeah it did! I'll answer now that it's changed, though. The one that has my favorites has to be rock. Geddy, Flea, Squire, Les, etc.

6. My Favorite genre also would be Jazz and Funk.

There is so much more though, picking two is hard. I love different types of music. Motown, blues. I don't know, I grew up listening to Zeppelin and Hendrix.

They're all my favorite! ;)

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Jazz fusion is exciting from a player's point of view (well, mine anyway). Lots of fiddly stuff and out-there bass work. Some of the more intelligent metal is also cool (Meshuggah and their deceptively simple polyrhythmic stuff, for instance). Viva La Bass!

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Prog has a lot of my favorites, Squire, Lee, Wetton...
    Some consider fusion a branch or cousin of prog, so you could throw in Clarke, Jaco, many others.

9. Prog, funk, metal, JAZZ. Oh yeah, and whatever the hell you call Claypool's genre.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Fusion. And lots of hip hop and r&b lines are amazing too.

11. The genre that contains all my favorite bass players is "rock".

12. Tie between electric Jazz and RnB/Soul/Funk.

13. For me it would be Prog Rock including Jazz fusion. That is what I have always been into.

14. Tie between metal, jazz, and prog-rock- I like a lot bands where sometimes, these genres overlap.

15. No one genre has my favorite bassists.

I like the groove work in alot of Doom and Stoner bands, and alot of psychedellia in general.

I like the drone work in the aptly named Drone Doom sub-genre.

I like some of the rhythmic work done in various Nu-Metal bands.

I like alot of the groove work in Hip-Hop.

Rock bass in general is another favorite of mine.

16. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    While jazz features many talented musicians, I don't find it very listenable. The same with most solo bass stuff.

For that reason I'd have to say funk, or rock.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lately im really into funk and experimental stuff.

18. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I think I would have to say jazz, because of Jaco, Stanley and Mingus. Though I also enjoy the playing of Phil Lesh to an extensive degree.