The Get Up Kids breaking up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 10, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

Some of you may know the Get Up Kids - even though many people here have a negative view of what the "modern" emo and indie rock scene, it was this band that helped define the genre. After their album "Something to Write Home About" (One of my top five all time favorite albums), they were hailed as the saviors of independent music.

Exaggeration? I don't really care. They were one of my very favorite bands and recorded one of my very favorite songs of all time ("I'm a Loner, Dottie, a Rebel", from STWHA), and I'm not one to throw those kinds of labels around lightly.

According to the update on their website, they'll tour one last time this summer, ending their 10-year career on July 4th. I highly suggest that you see them if you get a chance.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    :( this makes me sad :(
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    First Sunny Day Real Estate, and now the Get Up Kids. If Alkaline Trio breaks up anytime soon, I'll have lost my high school years for good.

On the other hand, this means more time for the keyboardist to work on Reggie and the Full Effect albums. (A continuous side project.)
  4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That is really sad news.

However, if it means more Reggie. Then I think it'll work out JUST FINE in the end. I can't wait for the new Reggie CD.
  5. Hey, if you don't like the Get Up Kids, why post? This is sad news. Get Up Kids are (were) great.

*off-topic* Is anyone else excited about Juliana Theory's current tour? I'm seeing them on the 28th! Yeah, I'm a dork.
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Didn't they announce this a while ago? I thought they had already broken up.

Or maybe I'm clairvoyant, or telling-future....voyant.

They've had a good run.
  7. Damn, I really loved the Get Up Kids. They were the only "emo" band (and one of very few pop rock bands) I considered good. Something to Write Home About and On A Wire are two of my top 10 (hrmmmm 20) favorite records ever. Any last CD releases before the break?
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Apparantly one live record has yet to be released.
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    im gonna miss the get up kids. hopefully when they play nj it doesnt sell out in like 2 seconds

saw them a bunch of times(when 4 minute mile came out) and always loved them.

ps, if any band is going to start playing more shows because guk breaks up is coalesce. because reggie is just ugh
  10. The Get Up Kids have always been one hell of a band. While I have all of their albums, the one that gets the most playtime for me is Four Minute Mile. Their break-up is definitely going to leave a hole in the scene.
  11. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    4 minute mile is probably one of the best cd's i own.
  12. I've kind of grown out of TGUK. They don't do it for me as much as they used to, but I still like Four Minute Mile and Something To Write Home About and listen to them on occasion.

Reggie is better anyway though, IMO.
  13. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Reggie > Get Up Kids

I just saw Reggie and the Full Effect last night with New Found Glory. An amazing show I must say.I've also listened to leaked copies of their new album. It too is quite good.
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Are they any relation to the New Kids?