Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The GetUp Kids- On A Wire

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, May 15, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It was pretty amusing because I went to a midnight CD release party in Green Bay this past Tuesday, and everyone was either there for Weezer or Rush or Moby, except me. :D I was there for The GetUp Kids.

I don't quite know how to feel about the new album. I heard a bunch of the songs live, and was disappointed then, and I'm still pretty disappointed now. There's nary a song that ROCKS. And I realize that bands need to change, and evolve, but it seems to me like The GetUp Kids just did a total 180.

I know I'll get maybe two replies to this, but hey, let's hear what you think. :D

2. I am disappointed, they sound too much like pryor's side project....the new amsterdams.......... note: the new amsterdam are a good group too, but i wanted a get up kids record

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I was waiting until someone posted about this because I've been wanting to get it but not sure if i would like it.I own Something to write Home about and i like the "harder" songs such as holiday,ten minutes,etc...I was wondering if most of the songs on the new cd sound anything like this.I dont like their slower more emo songs long "ill catch you",they get kinda boring.so,tell me if their new cd is more "harder" material or not.

4. From what I've heard of their older stuff, I was thinking about getting this, but now, probably not.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Tallguybcs,but Something to write home about,its their best cd.I HATE emo with a passion,but somehow this cd appealed to me,i dont know why,but its amazing. it has 3 slow songs but i kinda learned to like them after awhile.

6. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Wow, the GetUp Kids. I went to a Green Day concert a couple years ago, and they were the opening act. Like three people attending the sold out concert were in the stadium while they were playing, not including me. They gave there CD's away after the show, and only gave like 2 away. Needless to say, they were the worst band I have ever willingly listened to. I'm sure they've gotten much better by now, but I won't listen to them because I'm still haunted to this day by there songs. Yuck.

7. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Mellem,
    You're the second person I've talked to that has had such a bad experience with The Get Up Kids live...maybe they just suck live:) Haven't had a chance to see them, but they're playing in Orlando June 26, so I'll post a review or something of the show then.

Anyway, I've been listening to them for a while, and I too was a little disappointed in the new cd. If you dig the 'harder' more punk stuff they do, then I wouldn't spend my money on this cd.

However, if you like the softer, more Sunny Day Real Estate(that's really who this new cd sounds like, not the Get Up Kids) type songs, then you'd probably like On A Wire.

It's not a bad cd; on the contrary, after a couple listens through it's a really strong record...it just doesn't scream 'GET UP KIDS'. Occassionally a vocal, or a bassline will spark fond memories of 4 Minute Mile, or Red Letter Day, but other than that, it sounds like Sunny Day Real Estate.

Oh well, life goes on and I'm sure this cd will get plenty of playtime just like all the others:)

Alex

8. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Hey, compared to the time I saw the Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate would've been welcome. Anyway, yes, please do write that review when you see them, I'd like to hear if they're still horrible live. Maybe I will just give that CD a listen.

Just a question: If everyone hates emo, (as they should), why do people make it? I mean, not to say that the band should always try to please the public, but you'd think.... oh well.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, not everybody hates emo, otherwise they WOULDN'T make it. I love emo, and listen to it a lot.

As for your live experiences, you must have caught the GetUp Kids on their off days. I've seen them live twice, when they were headlining, and they were fantastic. Their earlier days might not have appealed to everybody, because they were still a little rough around the edges. Their first full-lenght, Four Minute Mile, was their album about the time of the Green Day tour, and it wasn't all that great. Their next album, Something To Write Home About, is one of my all-time favorite albums. I think it's incredible. The new one, which I don't think sounds like Sunny Day Real Estate at all, is just a bunch of mellow GetUp Kids songs. Not what I was expecting.

10. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Ok, I'm sorry if I offended any emo fans, I guess it isn't THAT bad... :p
    Yeah, all I know is when I heard them, it was like the guitar, bass, and drums were all playing different songs, no song construction what-so-ever. It was almost worse that my first band, which was also the guitar players first. Almost. :D

11. viva death

viva death

Apr 17, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    i really like what ive heard of it.

12. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    On a wire, there's a song that has a dissonant guitar or Moog and a drawn out vocal; VERY Sunny Day Real Estate...at least like the stuff off Diary.

And the production of this cd just seems a lot more like SDRE; kind of a weak mix and dry guitars.

I've listened to it a bit more and it's starting to grow on me. HOWEVER, it's definitely different than 'softer Get Up Kids' songs. It has a different feel to it.

Where Valentine, and I'll Catch You were sort of catchy, solemn tunes, On a Wire has a sort of(God, should I even say this??) COUNTRY vibe to it..the way it shuffles along:) Man, that was a terrible thing to say...

I like it, it's a good record, just not what I, and apparently many other, were expecting.

And I will write a review when the concert happens...hopefully it'll be a really good show and they'll play older songs:)

Alex

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Whew... I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that. That twangy tele vibe is all over this album.

14. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hehehe...

It pains me to say that, but I'm just glad you guys didn't rush to string me up!!:)

Oh well...I'll just be content listening to it anyway.

Alex