1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Gig Bag Resource Thread?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aspdevboy, Sep 28, 2009.

1. I searched quite a bit and didn't find anything containing a Gig Bag focus. I was looking for an inexpensive gig bag (sub $40) and wanted to get some opinions and experiences from TB folk, but came up empty.

So I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we show our bags. :D

I just ordered a Musician's Gear Elite bag in Tweed from Music123 last night because I wanted to spend less than $40 and have something with pockets and around 25mm of foam. We'll see whether I made a good choice. This is for my Kingston 5.

I wanted a Pro Tec, but didn't want to spend $90. There's also some cool new hyrid bag/cases out there for around $60.

Anyway, post up questions or experiences with your favorite or not-so-favorite bags.

2. The one I got from fender is actually pretty nice bag. It's got plenty of pockets,nice durable canvas,and a good 3/4 inch of padding.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have a Fender D-Luxe. I like it. Plenty of pocket space, and I'm not afraid the straps will fall off. I wouldn't transport an expensive bass in it, but it's fine for what it does.

4. I love my Pro Tec... I'll try to post some pics later.

5. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    I REALLY want one of the Mono gig bags, but they're a bit pricey.

6. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    aspdevboy,

You know, I was in the same boat as you are in now about a gig bag. I'll tell man, it will save you money in the long run...... Pay for a real good gig bag. You won't be sorry.

I have a my share of cheesy gig bags, but now after almost 2 years, almost, I put the money out and purchased my "Levy" leather gig bag. Wow, what a great bag. Your axe will be totally secured, and it has two pockets, one for smaller stuff, while the other one holds books, cords, etc,.

Good luck in your continued search!

7. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I had a Pro-Tec bag that I too loved. However, there is a nail at the bottom. If the bag is dropped with any force, the nail will go directly into your bass.

8. MDFreeze

MDFreeze

Jan 27, 2009
    DFW, Texas
    I second what Plookie said. I've had my Levy's leather bag for over 4 years now, and not a single problem with it at all. Zippers, leather, pockets...everything is great. It always carries my main bass to gigs. You get what you pay for with this bag.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    On a budget, I like Levy's.

10. So the Levy's case is around $275 or so, right? I might look into those at some point.
    For now, I'll see what my $30 bag does for me:

[​IMG]

I think these Wolfpak things look promising too:

[​IMG]

Also, I emailed Mike T the other day looking for an MTD gig bag, and he has one left I guess, but they're like $120.. probably worth it but I'm poor at this time.

11. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Uh... by budget, I certainly did not mean $275! :eek: :p

I have no idea of what their current line is, but I've had a few bags bearing the Levy's name that were well under $100 but still very comfy and well-designed. Even their low-end is tight & worthy IME.

12. Thanks for mentioning that... I'll have to check that out.

13. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    +1 - You are correct sir!

14. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    +1 for fenders ..mine is great and im totally a hardcse guy

15. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I have several of the Roadrunner brand gig bags from Guitar Center. They have help up really well.

I have also bought a couple of leftover (meaning not sold with the bass) Fender gig bags from GC for $20 a pop. Seems like GC either forgets to include these with the bass purchases or upsells another case and ends up with a bunch of these leftover. More cases for me I guess. :bassist:

16. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I have the MTD gig bag. It's the Undercover Bag, with the MTD initials on the pocket.

17. I have a Mooradian gig bag. They run about$120.00 so it's not really a budget item, but it's got good pockets, padding, and is made in the USA.

18. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I would advise you not to skimp when it comes to gig bags. I used a protec gig bag for six years and I just upgraded to an iGIG because I need the pocket space. Get something that's well-padded, backpack straps are a plus as well.

19. No kidding, please post your findings (I have the same bag, no problems so far).

20. You got me concerned, could you be a bit more specific as to where this nail is exactly.