1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The gig that got away (but I'm not complaining)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jjk2007, Oct 1, 2008.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    So I was surfing itunes the other day when I noticed a name in the new release section that sounded familiar. After some closer inspection, I realized that this particular artist was a guy that a drummer friend and I went and did a couple of practices with up in L.A. a couple of years ago. I remember thinking what a waste of time when it was all over because both practices weren't that productive. His music is the acoustic guitar pop stuff (i.e. Ryan Cabrera) and both times he had a couple of groupie chicks with him that got more attention than the musical stuff did. The other thing that was funny is that he had no idea what chords he was playing, other than the very basics. The room we played in was bad PA/monitor wise, he didn't have any input on what he might want for a bass part and some of his progressions were very strange, and since he didn't know what he was playing, it took some time to figure out what he was doing. But I do think at the time he was one of those solo AG acts so that might explain a little bit of it. I guess he obviously got some help since then, but it was a funny overall experience and just goes to show you never know who you might be jamming with. Anybody else have a similar experience??