The gig that never happened

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am so frustrated... It seems like everytime my band has the opportunity to play somewhere something screws it up. My band members seem way too busy sometimes. I don't want to get on their cases about it, because I get busy too sometimes, but it's begining to get on my nerves. I would like to play out! Like today!! :mad:

Okay, that's all. Thanks for listening. :)
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've quit many a band due to the, uh, "schedual conflicts"...I.E. when I wanted to do something, they had to do their own thing.

At risk of not conveying the proper humor:

People suck.
  3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    In honor of Metallica,this thread should be named...The Gig that should not be.

Ya like it?
  4. ...Keep trying. :p

5. Yeah when it looks like no one else is really gung-ho about playing gigs, it was always time for me to move on.
    It still suprises me how many "bands" there are who never play out anywhere. They practice and play for friends who come over and that's about it. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, if that's your cup of joe.
  6. Same with practice in our band. We just started, and I don't think we've ajusted to the "Sundays are practice days" thing yet....
  7. Yeah, I have the same problem. First off, my band goes to highschool, so everyone is still living with their parents. Second, we hafta practice at my guitarist's house (scary thing) because that is the only place where there is room for the drum set. And since it is his house, his father decides at the last minute when we can and can't practice. To top that off, our drummer is this brain who is into every single contest you could imagine so she isn't able to make it half the time. We are awesome together in spite of all of this, believe it or not. When we can practice, we all arrive with our stuff together, and it all just falls into place. However, with the lack of time we have to practice, we have only been able to pull off one gig (if that's what you wanna call it) for our school. We should be like the strokes and quit highschool to pursue music. I can see it now. Everyone lives in their car because we don't have a place to live, we unpack and jam for quarters in a walmart parking lot, and we take tips from whoever feels sorry for us. Then and only then will we be happy :rolleyes:
  8. Yeah same thing with me. I play with just a drummer & his parents never let him come over & jam evern though he lives like 2 minutes away. We've only played one gig at our school to, & it was bad. If we had a geetar player then we could have gigs all the time. Its just transportation for our gear since we can't drive yet (this month).Plus homework & gettin enough cash from work to pay for equipment so it leaves not that much time to jam. Another thing is that sometimes my drummer doesn't even want to jam, so i get frustrated & just wanna quit & find someone whos oggd 7 dedicated to playing in a band.:mad:
  9. Oh ya beat. Drummer got a job on friday and saturday nights. Told him he had a week to find either another job or another band. So he's playing for us still. Bonehead manuver. Just like his idea to color coordinate his outfit for shows. Looks like Puff Daddy.

Singer's not much smarter either, and somehow he's the scheduler. But he does get it done okay.
  10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    It's the effort that counts...right? :(

:D :D :D
  11. FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Finding people who you play well with, and who are dedicated, is the number one thing that keeps bands apart. I can't tell you how lucky I feel that my band is not only locally established, but supremely dedicated to the final product. We are like a freaking business sometimes, with quality control, etc.

How many other bands out there videotape the performances, then watch over them while critiqueing each other on stage prescence?